Annual Turkey Chase helps local charities, schools

To spice up the 30th anniversary of Bethesda’s Turkey Chase, organizers are bringing in 30 live turkeys.

But turkey chasing isn’t on the day’s agenda, even if it’s the name of the event. The Thanksgiving delight will be there to add to the festive atmosphere of the race and entertain the flocks of children. Event organizers have also arranged for live music and created a video reflection about the history of the race.

In 1982, participants swam, biked, and ran to raise money for charity in the first annual Turkey Chase. Today, the race has evolved into three separate runs — a 10k, a two mile, and a 50 meter — and burgeoned in size.

“We weren’t sure when we chose to hold the race on Thanksgiving morning if it would be a bomb or a success,” YMCA vice-president of operations Carla Larrick said. “Well, it took off, we haven’t seen a decrease in attendance any year since.”

The proceeds from the race go to the Bethesda Chevy Chase YMCA and Rotary Club to provide scholarships and financial assistance to underprivileged children who want to become involved with the YMCA. Money is also distributed to local charities through the BCC Rotary Club and recipients of Turkey Chase proceeds have ranged from the Montgomery College Foundation, to Suburban Hospital and Imagination Stage.

Through a fundraiser called the Principal’s Prize, the Turkey Chase supports schools as well. All runners vote for one public and one private high school to receive a monetary prize. Walter Johnson high school has received the public school Principal’s Prize for the past four years, with Whitman in a close second, but receiving no funds. This year, that may change, said Miller.

“This year we want to give more money back to the schools to say thank you and provide more motivation to bring in runners,” Miller said. “If whoever comes in second gets 90% of the winner’s total votes, we’re considering giving them a monetary amount as well.”

Congressional Bank is the main sponsor of the race and the majority of the race’s sponsors are local businesses, YMCA Director of Community Development Tracy Miller said.

“All of the businesses on the back of our shirt are small businesses here in Bethesda,” she said. “This is truly a community event, one supported and run by the community.”

Organizers are excited about the attractions this year’s event will offer.

“We will have some kind of live, upbeat band on Thanksgiving morning,” YMCA vice-president of operations Carla Larrick said. “We’ll also have a live steel drum band situated somewhere on the course where the 2 mile and 10k overlap so that both groups of runners are inspired to keep going.”

This year, the Turkey Chase organizers decided to open registration for the race in March, and as a result registration is running ahead.

The race is very family-oriented, Larrick said.

“The Turkey Chase has become a family event that for some, marks the beginning of the holiday season,” she said. “When you come on Thanksgiving morning you see entire families, from toddlers to grandparents.”