Boys volleyball stuns Springbrook 3–0

Green Day disappoints in part 2 of 3-part release

Green Day is channeling any high school student: it’s trying to do too much at once.

In their new album ¡Dos!, released Nov. 9 as part of the ¡Uno!, ¡Dos!, ¡Tré! trilogy, the California rockers underwhelm, despite a few gems.

The album is brief, with the longest song clocking in at four minutes. ¡Dos!, the band’s tenth studio album, was met with mixed reviews that ranged from mediocre to complimentary.

Lead vocalist Billie Joe Armstrong called ¡Dos! Green Day’s take on garage rock. Unfortunately for Armstrong, what could have been a fiery punk-inspired album seems watered down and full of filler tracks.

The album opens with the intriguing “See You Tonight,” a soft acoustic number that sets the bar high for the other 12 tracks. Hearing Green Day experiment with acoustic guitars and easygoing vocals is interesting and surprisingly enjoyable.

Ashley” is a classic Green Day tune in which the band mercilessly bashes an ex-girlfriend. The lyrics are dripping with disdain that complement the roaring rhythm of the song.

‘Used a tangled mind with your puppet strings/You tangled your desires right in front of my face,” Armstrong sings in “Ashley.”

Another standout is the energetic “Wow! That’s Loud.” The song is pure 60s rock and it sounds like a mash up of The Who and The Beatles. While Green Day stays true to its style, its knack for paying homage to classic rock shines through on this track.

Another standout is “Stop When The Red Lights Flash,” a roaring number that shows off the bands chemistry. The drums, bass and guitar are completely in sync and the track shows that 20 years of playing together has paid off. “Stray Heart,” a laid back song in which Armstrong begs for a lost love to come back excels as well, a testament to Green Day’s knack for writing teenage anthems.

“Can you recover baby?/Oh you’re the only one that I’m dreamin’ of,” Armstrong croons on “Stray Heart.”

Unfortunately, the rest of ¡Dos! is half-baked. Songs like “Lady Cobra” and “Baby Eyes” are decent, but pale in comparison to the stronger tracks on the album. These songs don’t offer anything new and just seem like filler.

Makeout Party” is the clunker on ¡Dos!. The band members seems to be fighting each other. The lyrics compete with an obnoxious guitar solo while Armstrong screams over Tré Cool’s drums.

While listening to ¡Dos!, it seems like the album could have been a few tracks shorter. Green Day’s better songs like “Ashley” and “Stray Heart” are buried under excess tracks like “Lazy Bones” and “Nightlife” that offer little more than white noise to the listener.

Though Green Day seems to have encountered the “sophomore slump” on ¡Dos!, ¡Tré!, which debuts Dec. 7., promises stadium rock, complete with string arangements and brass sections, according to a Rolling Stone interview.

Hopefully, ¡Dos! is just Green Day’s sophomore blunder. Maybe the third try will be the charm for ¡Tré!, the final installment in the series.