State legalizes casino expansion with hopes of gaining money

Marylanders legalized the expansion of casino gambling by voting in favor of Question 7 on the ballot Nov. 6.

The measure, which passed with 52% of the vote, allows the state’s slots-only casino industry to offer table games like craps, black jack and roulette and permits the construction of an additional casino in Prince George’s County.

The stated purpose of the expansion is to raise revenue for education. Vote for 7, the group that led the campaign to pass the measure, states on its website that the expansion will keep $550 million in tax revenue in the state to help fund Maryland schools.

Maryland comptroller Peter Franchot, however, does not believe the measure will benefit Maryland schools.

“There is no requirement that any additional gambling revenue that goes into our state’s Educational Trust Fund must be spent in Maryland’s classrooms,” he said in an email Nov. 15. “Any dollars coming from the casino into education in Maryland only replaces existing school dollars, netting no change for education funding.”

Montgomery County executive Ike Leggett, who supported the measure as a way to keep revenue in Maryland, rejected arguments that new casino tax revenues would not ultimately mean more money for schools.

“I think they are just a lot of hype by the West Virginian opponents who didn’t want us to pass this,” he said in a phone interview. “I have no doubt that given the tremendous record of success in spending for education, we will continue to do so.”

Moreover, if the funds were not used for education as intended, Maryland would still have the added revenue to spend on needs such as roads, environmental services, housing or health care, he said.

“If I have a choice between not having the money and fighting about whether it goes to education or whether it goes to some other worthy project in the state of Maryland, I’d much rather have that fight than not have the money at all,” he said.

But Franchot questions the amount of tax revenue that will actually be realized in an economic environment in which current casinos are suffering.

“I do not believe demand exists for a sixth casino in Maryland,” he said. “Four years ago, we were told that legalizing slot machines in Maryland would generate $600 million a year for our public schools and other great things. None of those things have happened.”

Montgomery County at-large council member Nancy Floreen is glad the measure passed. While many are suspicious of how the General Assembly will distribute dollars, the state continues to face pressure to fund not just education but infrastructure, the environment, public health and more, she said.

“The state needs money,” Floreen said in a phone interview. “If the state doesn’t get money from other sources, Montgomery County residents end up paying the bill.”