Whitman Reacts: Wootton High School student arrested for planning school shooting

Boys soccer season ends with 2-1 loss to Wootton

The boys soccer team lost 2-1 to the 14-1-1 Wootton Patriots in its second playoff game Nov. 1, ending its season with a final record of 9-5.

The starting lineup huddles up before the second half. The boys lost 2-1 to Wootton in their last game of the season. Photo courtesy Yuta Nakagawa.

The game was deadlocked for the majority of the time, with the teams possessing the ball equally and attacking each other’s goals. The first half was scoreless at 0-0.

“It was pretty even,” captain Mark Cameron said, “but we weren’t able to finish our chances.”

The Vikes finally broke through in the second half when midfielder Grant Miller sent a through ball to forward Davey Mason, who shot it over the Patriots’ goalie to put the Vikings up 1-0. However, their lead was short lived.

A Wootton player dribbled down the right side of the field and made a pass to the top of the penalty box, where a forward struck the ball into the goal past keeper Cameron to tie the game at 1-1.

The Patriots scored another goal soon after when Wootton was able to steal the ball in the Viking’s half, weave through a few players and boot the ball into the net to score the game-winning goal.

Though its playoff bid came to a frustrating end, the team is still proud of its strong performance over the course of the season, Cameron said.

“Of course it’s disappointing that it ended,” he said. “But it was a blast to break everyone’s expectations.”