Bdubbs Bakes: Apple cider donuts

As the leaves change from green to yellow to red and the nights get a little bit colder, you’ll need a way to satisfy your fall-induced craving for something warm and cinnamon-flavored. These sweet, cinnamon-y, apple cider donuts are exactly what the colder weather calls for.

Don’t be scared off by the hot oil and frying – once made, these warm donuts are the perfect accompaniment to a glass of spiced cider. These are fairly quick to make. The dough is easy, and once that’s done, the hardest – and quickest – part is the frying.

Ingredients:

Donuts

1 cup apple cider
3 1/2 cups flour, plus additional for the work surface
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
4 tablespoons (1/2 stick or 2 ounces) butter, at room temperature
1 cup granulated sugar
2 large eggs
1/2 cup buttermilk
Vegetable oil, for frying

Toppings (optional)

Glaze (2 cups confectioners’ sugar + 4 tablespoons apple cider)
Cinnamon sugar (1 cup granulated sugar + 1 tablespoon cinnamon)

First, boil one cup apple cider until it’s reduced to a quarter cup, about 20 to 30 minutes. Set aside to cool.

Next, cream one-half stick room-temperature butter with one cup granulated sugar. Beat on medium speed until smooth.

Add one-half cup buttermilk to the cooled apple cider. Add to the butter-and-sugar mixture. Mix on medium speed until just incorporated, remembering to scrape down the sides of the bowl occasionally.

Add two teaspoons baking powder, one teaspoon baking soda, one-half teaspoon ground cinnamon, one-half teaspoon salt and one-eighth teaspoon ground nutmeg to three and one-half cups flour. Mix gently with a whisk  to combine. Then, add to the butter, sugar, apple cider and buttermilk. Mix gently with a spatula or wooden spoon until just combined.

Heavily flour two baking sheets. Turn the dough onto the first sheet and generously sprinkle with flour. Using your fingers, flatten until it’s about one-half inch thick. If the dough still seems too wet, feel free to use more flour. Then, place the baking sheet and dough into the freezer until it’s hardened, about twenty to thirty minutes.

Using a donut cutter, a mug or a knife, cut the slightly hardened dough into circles with holes in the middle. Gently transfer to the second floured baking sheet. Make both donut shapes and donut holes, if you’d like. If the dough becomes too soft to work with, refrigerate or freeze briefly until it reaches a harder consistency.

Heat the oil over medium heat until it reaches 350°F. Make sure to use a candy thermometer to check the temperature. If you choose to frost the donuts, make the glaze and topping now. Stir together two cups confectioners sugar with four tablespoons apple cider. In a separate bowl, combine one cup granulated sugar and just over one tablespoon cinnamon.

When the oil is ready, drop a few donuts or donut holes gently into the simmering oil. Fry until they reach a golden brown color, about a minute or less depending on the size of the donut. Make sure to flip halfway through for an even cooking.

As the donuts finish frying, place on a plate lined with several layers of paper towels. Immediately dip into the glaze, and then the sugar mixture.

After all the donuts have been dipped, enjoy with a glass of apple cider. These donuts are best served warm.

Full recipe

Ingredients:

Donuts

1 cup apple cider
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1 cup granulated sugar
2 large eggs
1/2 cup buttermilk
Vegetable oil, for frying

Toppings (optional)

Recipe courtesy Smitten Kitchen.

All photos by Julia Berard.