Boys lacrosse falls to Sherwood 12–9
Girls lacrosse suffers first loss of the season to Sherwood 16–11
Whitman Reacts: Wootton High School student arrested for planning school shooting

Fun — and free — summer activities

This summer, enjoy fun and culture without spending a penny or traveling far from home. D.C. and Bethesda will host small free events throughout the summer where attendants can appreciate free music, movies and local art.

FREE SUMMER CONCERTS:

Celebrate the end of a tough AP exam with the sweet sounds of local Bethesda bands. From now until July 19, bands like Sweet Saludos, John Stone Reggae Band and The Beat Hotel will perform every Thursday from 6 p.m. to 8 p.m. at Veterans Park in front of the Burger Joint. The different genres of music, like Latin American or Reggae, illustrate the diverse culture Bethesda has to offer.

FORT RENO SUMMER CONCERT SERIES:

Experience the four-decade tradition of free concerts in the park in Tenleytown. This event is the home to the musical highlights of the summer. Discover music from young, locally developing indie-rock bands and bring food for a nighttime picnic. The show is every Monday and Tuesday night from 7:15 p.m. to 9:30 p.m. from June 27 to Aug. 4.

For a limited time, outdoor movies will be shown at the Woodmont Triangle. Photo courtesy Bethesda Urban Partnership.

FREE OUTDOOR MOVIES:

Relax under the stars with a screening of five blockbuster hit movies for Bethesda’s 8th annual outdoor movie series from July 24 to 28. The show begins at 9 p.m. at the Woodmont Triangle. While only a limited number of chairs are provided, attendees can bring their own. Don’t miss popular movies like “The Breakfast Club” and “The King’s Speech.”

ARTIST MARKET:

Come celebrate artists, entertainment and culture at the Bethesda Artist Market on June 9, July 14 and Aug. 10. Browse through the hand-made jewelry, hand-blown glass work, paintings and photography done by 25 local and regional artists. Tents running along Norfolk Ave. will hold each artist’s collection from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. Local bands will also provide live entertainment in the walk-through market.

SHAKESPEARE FESTIVAL:

The Shakespeare Theatre Company presents free Shakespeare performances as part of its annual “Free For All” event. To kick off the 26th season of “Free For All,” the company will perform “All’s Well that Ends Well,” a romantic comedy about how far one will go for true love. The performances being Aug. 23 and end Sept. 9 with varying show times. Tickets will be available the day of the show on a first-come-first-serve basis.