Canine lovers strut their mutts at 7th annual festival

**by Emily Cevallos Janssen**

While the dog days of summer aren’t yet upon us, the canines of Montgomery County were living large May 19 at the 7th annual Strut Your Mutt parade and festival in Bethesda’s Woodmont Triangle area.

Freshman Harrison Guh and his dog perform a trick. The annual Strut Your Mutt festival had a parade and various competitions for dogs and their owners. Photo courtesy Camilla Barnes.

The fundraiser, which was sponsored by the Bethesda-Chevy Chase Rotary Club, brings together a diverse selection of canines and their humans for a day of dog-themed fun, including a parade and various competitions. The festival hosted over 30 vendors that offered an array of dog friendly merchandise and services.

The parade kicked off at 10:30 am. Dogs of all shapes, sizes, and colors filled the streets tugging their owner’s closely behind them. Judges in cowboy hats stood on the sidelines critiquing the dogs on their walk, tail wagging abilities, costumesa and whether or not they exemplified the qualities of an all-American mutt.

After contemplation, they awarded the “best strut” medal to Bella, a brown-haired poodle. While owner Angela Blade said she’s very proud of her spoiled pooch, the victory was unexpected.

“It was a fluke that she won,” Blade said. “She wasn’t focused at all, but the judges must have seen something in her.”

After the main parade, owners had the opportunity to enter their dogs in an assortment of contests, including competitions for best singer, best trick, and best kisser. Although the announcer assured the audience the judges were impartial and that all bribes of dog treats had been turned down, judge Sheila Stinson admitted to some bias.

“I’m partial to beagles because I own one, but I mostly try to chose dogs who don’t get enough attention,” said Sheila Stinson, judge and owner of DogCentric, a dog walking service in southern Montgomery County.

Freshman Harrison Guh and his dog Remy teamed up in matching Hawaiian shirts for the trick contest. Guh has been training Remy for three years using Chinese commands. Remy, who won first place, impressed the judges with his salsa dancing and ability to pray like a cat.

“Remy came in second the past two years, so this year we had to bring it,” Guh said. “Besides, Remy loves the attention.”

Festival attendees could also purchase tickets to participate in a raffle to win half the jackpot. The remainder went to the B-CC Rotary Club.

This year marks the first time the Club has partnered with the Montgomery Humane Society, which will receive a portion of all proceeds. The rest will go to the Rotary Club Foundation, which gives grants to charities across the globe. The event raises about $10,000 every year, and aims to be very dog-oriented, according to volunteer coordinator Cindy Bertaut,

“The dogs certainly have more fun than their humans,” Bertaut said. “They have everything they could possibly want while the people have to stand out in the sun.”

In addition to raising funds, Strut Your Mutt promotes fellowship in the community by celebrating man’s best friend.

“Its not just about the fundraiser — it’s about bringing the community together,” Bertaut said.