‘Talent Showpocalypse 2012’: The best for last

The world can finally end with a bang now that “Talent Showpocalypse” has made its debut.

This year’s talent show, “Talent Showpocalypse 2012: Run for Your Lives,” featured three hours of musical numbers and comical acts artfully put together on one stage, directed by senior Grace Laboy.

Seniors Annie Russell (left) and Ani Carlson perform Eva Cassidy's "Over the Rainbow" during a Talent Show rehearsal. The show featured over 23 acts and 100 students. Photo by Billy Bird.

The show started off with the band the “Alligator Haters,” who immediately set a high bar for the rest of the numerous music acts. Bands, such as “The Insiders,” “Squid Words” and “Lemonade Workshop,” continued taking the stage, but each one was unique, adding different types of musical genres, instruments and performers to the growing pool of performances.

Sophomore Calvin Schalch, who is a member of “Alligator Haters” and performed in numerous other acts, said he feels the performers rose up to meet the crowd’s expectations.

“A lot of bands sounded the best they’ve ever sounded,” Schalch said.

Between the acts, the audience laughed as the actors performed skits either live or in videos. This year’s skits focused on a list of prophecies that would preface the end of the world, such as English teacher Todd Michaels giving a student 100 percent on an in-class essay, a blackout during Fashion Show and an “underage candy” party getting busted by the police and the ensuing news coverage. As always, the actors also poked fun at various teachers, with crowd favorites including English teacher Susan Buckingham and science teacher Jasen Gohn — his new marriage signified that the world is truly ending.

It was also hard to ignore the professionalism displayed by larger group performances, including a capella groups “Pitch Please” and “NOTA,” as well as “SMOP,” or the poms team, who danced to an energetic collection of beats.

The second half of the evening started out with a true treat: senior Solomon Parker led the “Outcats,” who performed “Hey Ya.”  With a captivating voice and enough energy to light up a city, Parker’s performance drove the crowd wild, especially when he and senior Stephen Rodan broke out their dance moves.

Following behind was “Diabolo Devastation,” or Chinese Yo-Yo, and “Drumline,” another crowd favorite. This year, Drumline members entered the stage from the audience, revving everyone up for a fantastic performance. An especially notable part was when two of its members were lifted upside down and played their drums normally, completely unfazed by the change in perspective.

The  thrill continued with more great acts, including “Fun Fight,” “GDP” and “Jake and Kate Plus Seven,” as well as excellent performances from singers like junior Emma Keteltas, who sang “Don’t Know Why” by Norah Jones, and Laboy, who sang “Turning Tables” by Adele. The show ended with a grand rendition of Florence + The Machine’s “Dog Days Are Over,” sung by Laboy and senior Sami Thurber.

Sophomore Cecilia Carter, who said she greatly enjoyed the show, agrees the skill level of the show was unbelievable.

“I was just sitting there in awe at the amount of talent,” she said.