International Night to take you on trip across the globe

Traditional saris, free sushi and K-pop: it’s time for International Night 2012.

Last year, Chilean students shared their culture by serving food samples of their traditional food at International Night. The dinner is followed by a show. Photo by Billy Bird.

This Thursday at 7:30 p.m., 18 acts ranging from Chinese yo-yos to solo dancers will perform in the 11th annual International Night. The evening will represent more than 60 countries and will also include a fashion show featuring both contemporary and traditional clothing from all over the world.

International Club promises to provide a night that is both enlightening and entertaining — and filling. A buffet-style dinner at 6:30 p.m. will feature about 20 local restaurants along with donations from parents, and countries like India, China, Greece and Italy will be represented.

Senior Ramneek Nagi, International Club president, said her favorite aspect of the night is seeing all the community involvement, especially because the night is family-oriented and involves more than just students.

The club will collect donations throughout the night, and all proceeds will benefit Save the Children, a charity that provides food, medical care and education to children across the globe.

To raise more money, this year’s International Night will once again include the chance to play ping-pong with senior Pamela Song for just a few dollars. Keep in mind, though, that Song currently ranks fourth among U.S. ping-pong players in her age group.

The show will include the Asian Hip-Hop group dancing to a medley of traditional Chinese music and pop music from Japan and Korea, along with many other dance and music performances. Senior Criscia Marfil will sing a contemporary Brazilian song called “Corcovado,” or “Quiet Night of Quiet Stars.”

Another act is a solo dance performance by sophomore Paulina Reyes, who choreographed a contemporary adaptation of a traditional Filipino dance.

“My dance, Kappa Malong Malong, will be a lot different from my performance last year because I’m focusing more on the culture and especially incorporating the traditional southern Filipino culture,” Reyes said.

Junior Faizan Ali, who will perform a Pakistani song with his band, said he is optimistic that this year will be another successful International Night.

“You come for the food – who doesn’t love free food? – And you stay for the great show,” Ali said. “We’re celebrating diversity and our culture and making sure the diversity at our school is represented to its fullest. It’s an amazing experience.”
International Night is tomorrow in the cafeteria and auditorium. Dinner is at 6:30 p.m., and the show is at 7:30 p.m. Food and admission are free, but donations for Save the Children are welcome.