Pyle math teacher served in military for 26 years, including Vietnam

The in-depth section in issue 6 profiles alumni, parents and teachers in the military. Below is a feature on a Pyle teacher who served in the military to accompany the section:

“Well, it’s a long story,” said Gary Witzenburg, algebra teacher at Pyle Middle School. “I’m a product of World War II.”

Witzenburg’s military story starts when he as a 17-year-old high school senior in December of 1957, after he enlisted in the Navy reserves. This position took Witzenburg all over the world, as he fought during the Vietnam War as a pilot on an aircraft carrier.

“Every time I deployed from an aircraft carrier, we always went to the Mediterranean,” Witzenburg said. “Some people call this good luck; some people call it bad luck. I retired as a navy captain, so I feel comfortable that it was okay.”

Witzneburg’s service in Vietnam was just a part of his 26-year career in the Navy, an aspiration of his since the eighth grade, when he wrote about joining the Navy for what he describes as a “What Do You Want To Do With Your Life?” project.

Growing up post-World War II sparked his interest in serving, he said.

“Starting about 1949, we got our first television set, and they had a TV series called ‘The Victory at Sea,’” Witzenburg said. “It followed the Navy throughout the entire World War II. I was fascinated by the waves and the ships.”

Besides his fascination with the Navy, Witzenburg also shared an interest in teaching. After retiring as a captain, Witzenburg first became an elementary school teacher and then transitioned into middle school, where he is now in his 16th year of teaching. Witzenburg’s experiences in the Navy have influenced his teaching career.

“I’ve been around the world. I’ve done things that most people haven’t,” he said. “I think that I bring a totally different perspective to teaching that most teachers don’t have.”

While being in the Navy caused Witzenburg to be away from home for long periods of time, he appreciates his experience.

“I don’t do any, ‘What ifs,’” he said.

Math and resource teacher Shawn Mumma also spent time in the military. Read about his experience here.