Capital Teas joins new tea shop trend in Bethesda

Crops of cupcakeries and fro-yo franchises have sprouted up all over Bethesda, but now, there’s a new sensation: quaint tea shops.

Capital Teas sells over 120 different types of teas to please everyone. The new store, which opened Jan. 12 in Bethesda Row, is part of a new tea trend in the area. Photo by Gigi Silver.

Capital Teas, which opened in Bethesda Row Jan. 12, is just one of a few tea stores in Bethesda, but it’ already started to gain popularity. The gourmet tea store features over 120 different types of teas, in categories of green, white, black, oolong, rooibos, mate, fruit tisane and herbal teas. Teas are made to order in cups from $3 to $5, and boxes of loose tea leaves are packaged from $7 to $40, depending on the size.

Manager Mary East decided to open up the small Bethesda Row location because of its easy access for customers.

“We tend to keep locations small because there won’t be a high expensive rent,” East said. “The store is a work in progress, and we’re still getting straightened out.”

Junior Neha Gupta said she likes tea shops for their artsy vibe and believes Capital Teas will be a great addition to Bethesda.

“Tea stores are just vintage,” Gupta said. “They’re peaceful and chill to hang out with people in.”

The tea store has a wide variety of unique flavors, including Island Mango tea, which has fruit tisane with pieces of dried mango and spices, and desert teas, like butter truffle, Irish rum cream, summer cherry fig and blueberry yogurt rooibos.

The store’s herbal infusions are teas designed to create either feelings of relaxation for calmness or stimulation for a kick.

Senior Katie Myers, who has been to both Zen Tara Tea, another new tea store, and Capital Teas in Bethesda, said she appreciates both for their quality drinks.

“Both stores are awesome, and their tea is delicious,” Myers said. “What I love about tea is that you can drink it at any time of day, and it can be either comforting and familiar or strange and exotic.”