‘Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close’ warms the heart with 9/11 story

Nominated for an Oscar for Best Picture, “Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close” is a poignant movie that yanks at the heartstrings in a way that’s more often associated with Pixar films. The movie, which debuted in most theaters Jan. 20, is based on the 2005 novel by Jonathan Safran Foer and was directed by Stephen Daldry.

Tom Hanks stars as Thomas Schell, a father who dies in the Sept. 11 attacks, in "Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close." The movie is nominated for a Best Picture Oscar. Photo courtesy www.collider.com.

Thomas Horn makes his acting debut as nine-year-old Oskar Schell, a self-described amateur inventor, Francophile and pacifist, who loses his father Thomas Schell (Tom Hanks) in the Sept. 11 attacks. Sandra Bullock delivers a powerful performance as Oskar’s newly widowed mother.

The story is told through flashbacks to the Schells life before 9/11 in New York City, when Thomas routinely set up problems for his son to solve. After finding his father’s key, Schell decides he needs to find out what lock fits it. This search takes him on a journey he hopes will bring him closer to his dad.

The journey to find the lock takes him across all five New York City boroughs and into the homes of families, elderly women and a couple on the brink of divorce.

Though the movie’s premise could easily come off as overly sappy, Horn imparts bits of humor in his role. Horn is excellent in the film, especially for his acting debut. His quirkiness works well with the movie and stays true to the character in Foer’s novel.

Even though the plot of the movie deviates slightly from the novel, the overarching theme stays true. You’ll find yourself cheering alongside Oskar as he explores the key’s mysteries and sympathizing with him when he ultimately realizes that no matter how long he searches, he won’t be able to bring his father back.