Local family celebrates Christmas with dozens of lawn decorations

A six-foot inflatable snow globe rests in the center of the lawn, flanked by massive inflatable snowmen that loom over assorted seasonal knick-knacks. Giant Santas are scattered across the yard, a sleigh perches atop the roof, and sparkling lights coil around every exposed branch, lattice and gutter.

The Roark family's home in Cabin John features dozens of holiday decorations that cover the entire lawn. They started putting up lights ten years ago, and the display has expanded each year. Photo by Chris Hoogstraten.

The Roark family’s home at the corner of 79th Place and Macarthur Boulevard in Cabin John has some of the most festive Christmas decorations in the area.

“I like my lights loud and obnoxious,” father Mick Roark admits.

The Roarks first decorated their house for Christmas in 2002 by hanging several strands of lights on their porch in a humble display of holiday spirit. But after that, the Roarks decided to achieve greater holiday glory every year.

“We’re the house on the corner,” mother Nicki Roark said. “So we decided that we had to be representative of the neighborhood because at the time we didn’t have any lights. Every year, we kept adding a few more decorations.”

In the past 10 years, the home’s seasonal decorations rapidly dwarfed the initial simple light display to include a miniature Ferris wheel, Santa’s sleigh and a plethora of lights and miniature decorations, leaving no patch of lawn without holiday cheer.

The Roarks' signature decoration is a string of lights that spells out "Mr. Bugs," the name of the family's pest control business. Every year, a few customers say they heard of the business through the light display. Photo by Chris Hoogstraten.

Some call the exuberant decorations tasteless and excessive, but that doesn’t bother the family.

“We’ve had people go by and say ‘Wow, that’s tacky!’ and we’re just standing there in the front yard going, ‘Yes! Mission accomplished,’” Nicki said.

The Roark’s signature decoration is surprisingly subtle, however. On the roof is a thin thread of lights that twists and turns to spell out “Mr. Bugs,” the name of the Roark’s termite and pest control business. Everyone knows Mick as Mr. Bugs thanks to the lights, which bring the business around a dozen clients a year, Nicki said.

Others ask how the Roarks afford to maintain their extravagant lighting displays throughout the holiday season.

“People always go, ‘I’d hate to see your electric bill,’ and we just laugh at that because when you around looking at houses at night, every light in the house is on, as are all the outside lights,” Nicki said. “We don’t exist that way. We turn off the inside lights if we’re not in the room. In fact, the most we’ve ever seen our electric bill go up is $40.”

Most people, like junior David Goldman, said they find the lights a joyful way to celebrate the holidays.

“I think their lights are fantastic, especially given the small size of their lawn,”Goldman said. “Sure, they’re tacky, but they’re not obnoxious. They’re tacky in an endearing way, and they really got me in the Christmas spirit.”

Nicki Roark poses with some of the many inflatable decorations on her family's lawn. The best part is the positive response from the community, she said. Photo by Chris Hoogstraten.

The Roarks’ three young children also get a kick out of the decorations.

“I think the lights are cute,” said Raven, the 11-year-old daughter. “All my friends go ‘Wow, you’re the house with the lights.’”

As long as the community’s reception remains positive, the Roarks plan on adding to their decorations in the future.

“Every year I go, ‘This is the last year,’” Nicki said. “Then every year, people show up at our door, asking, ‘When are you putting your lights up?’ And really, we do it for our neighbors, who see us outside and say, ‘Thank you.’ That really makes it all worth it.”

[nggallery id=68]