All-Gazette awards fall athletes with top honors

The 2011 MCPS fall sports season is over, and with that comes the announcement of the  All-Gazette sports teams.

Midfielder Aliza Wolfe was named to the All-Gazette first team for girls soccer. Many Whitman athletes were honored by the Gazette for the fall season. Photo courtesy Tom Nalls.

Whitman had several athletes honored by the Gazette this season.

Field Hockey defender Jenny Finley and midfielder Krishna Jaitly were both named honorable mentions.

On cross-country, senior Caroline Guiot was named the Girls Runner of the Year. She took first place in both the regional and state championship meets to lead the Vikes to a second-place finish at states.

Teammates Anna Ryba and Caroline Elmendorf were also awarded, with Ryba named to the first team and Elmendorf made an honorable mention. For the boys team, star runner Nick Adams was named to the second team.

Following a fantastic season, the golf team’s head coach Karl O’Donaghue received the Coach of the Year award. Senior Brendan Eng, who led the county in stroke averages and finished third in the state title match, was named Player of the Year.

“I felt that it was great that I could finish off my last year of high school golf with such a bang,” Eng said. “However, I was more impressed with the whole team’s finish. We won our division during the regular season, going undefeated in our matches. We won the Bethesda Cup and the District championship title. And to cap it all off, we placed 2nd at the Maryland State High School Golf Tournament.”

Sophomore Andrew Barth made the golf first team for the second time, while junior Sam Pasteriza was named second team.

“Its nice to receive this award again, last year I was first team but did not have as good a season,” Barth said. “It feels good to get first team as a sophomore because I still have two more years of high school golf to look forward too.”

On girls soccer, defender Corinne Lake and midfielder Aliza Wolfe both made first team while defender Emily Martin was named honorable mention. Boys team midfielder Sebastian Cahe was also named to first team.

As for girls tennis, doubles pair Anna Volkov and Grace Chandler received first team and coach Julie Frank was named Coach of the Year. Frank won her fourth division title in five seasons of coaching. Senior Nicky Gottret made second team for her singles play.

“Being a senior, and a captain, this season was very special for me,” Chandler said. “To be named county and Division I champions is really amazing and I was really impressed by everyone on the team and how hard they worked, it made this season really special.”