Whitman Reacts: Wootton High School student arrested for planning school shooting

Season Preview: Girls basketball team focuses on speed, accuracy

With the NBA on hold until Christmas, basketball fans have something else to look forward to in the meantime: the girls basketball team’s new season.

Forward Angelica Ceccone charges the paint in the girls basketball season opener Dec. 6 against Poolesville. Photo by Billy Bird.

After a 12-6 regular season last year, the team fell in the regional semifinals to the eventual state champion Gaithersburg Trojans. This year, the players think they have their best shot at a championship compared to recent seasons.

“I think we are honestly looking towards a great season,” guard Alex Purdy said. “Everyone is really connected, and we can all say we like each other, which wasn’t always something in the past.”

With the graduation of center Whitney Kolakowski and foward Clara Kelly, the team has made several adjustments heading into this season. Both players were the tallest on the team last year, forcing this year’s team to adjust its style of play.

“We lost two great contributors and leaders, Whitney Kolakowski and Clara Kelly, but all of the new seniors are picking up where they left,” guard Kim Durante said. “We have always had some height, so this year will be different working with a lot of transition plays with our speed.”

Under captains Rachel Sisco, Angelica Ceccone and Kristina Feldesman, the team aims to create an offense that is capable of hitting three point and midrange shots as well as scoring down low.

“We will have Rachel and Alex as our three point guns,” Feldesman said. “Angelica, Yeiwah and myself will try to score inside and on short jumpers.”

The players hope the move of the Northwest Jaguars out of the 4A West division will benefit them in the regular season, although coach Peter Kenah thinks the move might hurt them in the postseason.

“There’s one school of thought—we won’t get our same playoff preparation this year because we won’t play them,” Kenah said. “Record wise, it’s a positive, but preparation-wise, it’s a negative.”

The team started its season with an impressive 57-46 win Dec. 6 against the Poolesville Falcons. The three captains led the Vikes in scoring, with Feldesman scoring 16 points, Ceccone scoring 15 and Sisco dropping 12.

Ceccone was able to draw fouls off hard drives, going seven for ten from the free-throw line. Durante and guard Brittany Fleck each contributed a three of their own to help lift the team over the Falcons.

The girls will travel Dec. 9 to play the 0-1 Wheaton Knights.