Whitman ranked second-best high school in Maryland, 139th nationally
Baseball falls to Magruder 10–9
LIVE: Boys volleyball takes on Poolesville in second round of playoffs
Boys volleyball stuns Springbrook 3–0

Season Preview: Boys basketball team young but tall

No basket cases here: the boys basketball team, captained by Jake Harrison and Nick Yockey, returns to the court for a new season after ending last year with a loss to the Springbrook Blue Devils in the regional quarterfinals.

Captain Jake Harrison drives to the basket during a game for the Vikes last season. Photo by Billy Bird.

The team consists of seven juniors, one sophomore, one freshman and only four seniors, including forwards Yockey and Michael Flack, guard Harrison and center Jemal Cheatham. In previous years, a large number of seniors had prevented younger players from getting playing time, coach Chris Lun said.

“For two years we’ve had decent sized senior classes,” he said. “James [Dionne] and Bryan [Joel] didn’t get much playing time their junior year, but they really stepped up last year. We’re a young team, but we’re working hard to improve.”

The lack of varsity experience gives players incentive to work hard in order to win playing time, forward Andrew Castagnetti said.

“The practices are competitive,” he said. “Everyone’s trying to fight for minutes and show Coach Lun their strengths.”

The team’s general inexperience posed unique problems for captains Harrison and Yockey.

“I had to be really patient with [the players],” Harrison said. “At the beginning it seemed negative, but everybody has been improving and now I feel like we’re all at the same level—anyone could start.”

Lun hopes that additions to the team will improve the Vikes’ chances for success. Sophomore Max Steinhorn will step in as point guard, and Gonzaga transfer and guard Liam Hatch, who dislocated his shoulder in the fall season, will begin to play midway through December. Flack rejoined the team this year after taking a hiatus his junior year to focus on baseball.

“It’s tough getting back in shape, since [basketball’s] a lot of running,” Flack said. “But I like playing again with the kids on the team.”

Despite the lack of playing experience, the Vikes have no shortage of height. Yockey leads the team at 6’5’’ and Cheatham and forward Daniel Lowet both measure up at 6’4’’. The height advantage will help with shooting and rebounds, Cheatham said.

“It’s all about giving the ball to the big guys,” he added. “We have more height than speed this year.”

Games against rivals the Churchill Bulldogs and B-CC Barons always draw big crowds, and the players are also anticipating intense games against county frontrunners the Magruder Colonels and the Richard Montgomery Rockets. The Vikings beat the Rockets, who were previously undefeated, in an upset victory during their fall league.

“We feel like we’ve gotten a lot better since the off season,” Hatch said. “[That victory] just showed us that when we play well, we can beat good teams. That really boosted our confidence.”

The team lost 59-55 to the 1-0 Poolesville Falcons in their season opener.

Castegnetti got around the Falcons’ defense and started the game off with a three point shot, contributing to the Vikes’ early lead in the first quarter. The teams consistently exchanged baskets and evened the score by the middle of the second quarter. After the Falcons shot six points straight in the last few minutes, the Vikes trailed 27-21.

The Vikes returned with six consecutive baskets at the beginning of the second half, but the teams soon fell into the pattern again of trading baskets. The Falcons shot on point, often shooting the ball from outside the three point line. Poolesville guard Anthony Papagika alone shot five three pointers. The Vikings returned the offensive aggression, with Flack active on offensive rebounds and center Jemal Cheatham leading the team with 14 points.

The game grew increasingly rough, and Yockey fouled out of the game after charging a pick twice. The Falcons led by seven late in the fourth quarter. Viking guard Max Steinhorn shot a three- pointer in the last five seconds, but the Vikes still lost 59-55.

Next, the Vikings take on the 0-1 Wheaton Knights at home Dec. 9 in their second game of the season.