Senior Steven Goldberg selected for Stanford’s Reischauer program on Japan

Senior Steven Goldberg was selected Nov. 18 for the 2012 Reischauer Scholars Program, an online course in Japanese history, culture, politics and economics, as well as the relationship between Japan and the United States. Goldberg is one of about 25 students in the country who will participate in the program, which consists of 10 virtual classes hosted online from February to June.

The Reischauer Scholars Program is named for Edwin O. Reischauer, an American ambassador to Japan who worked to protect Japanese historical sites from bombing and looting during and after World War II. The Freeman Spogli Institute for International Studies at Stanford University and the Stanford Program on International and Cross-Cultural Education sponsor the program.

Goldberg, who had applied to the 2011 Reischauer Scholars Program and wasn’t admitted, said he was surprised to be accepted this year.

“I was very happy to get into the program because it’s something I’m really interested in,” Goldberg said.  “I didn’t think I’d get into it, but I went for it anyway.”

Goldberg has taken Japanese since ninth grade and participated in AIU High School Diplomats, a Japanese immersion program hosted by Princeton University, in summer 2010. He said the Reischauer program will help him pursue his interests in Japanese culture.

“I think taking Japanese and learning about Japanese culture is very important,” Goldberg said.  “Very few people take Japanese or Chinese, but those societies are going to be the ones driving the economy over the next couple decades.  The Japanese are innovators – if you look at these huge companies like Sony and Mitsubishi, they’re an essential part of our economy.  It’s important that we keep a strong relationship with Japan both financially and culturally.”