New clinic introduces girls to cheerleading

Cheerleading co-captain Niki Kurtz effortlessly performs the original Viking routine as young girls watch in admiration, dreaming of their future high school cheerleading careers. In a new clinic run by head Whitman cheerleading coach Kristi McAleese, these girls will be one step closer to their dream.

Officials from HoopEd, a company that runs sports programs in D.C., approached McAleese at the beginning of the school year about starting a cheerleading clinic for elementary and middle school students to encourage the participants to continue the sport in high school. Clinics are held on Saturdays throughout the fall at Lafayette Elementary School in Chevy Chase.

Founded in 2007, HoopEd began as a basketball program but has expanded to include multiple sports and offers various after school and summer programs for children of all ages. HoopEd prides itself on encouraging youth to stay active by promoting the benefits of playing sports. McAleese said HoopEd is unique because it emphasizes the importance of having fun while cheering.

“It’s a great place where girls can come in and learn the basics and the foundations of cheerleading in a noncompetitive atmosphere,” McAleese said.

During the clinic, girls learn basic jumps and motions, and then create a routine to show their parents. The difficulty level of each new routine progresses with each clinic as the girls learn harder moves, and McAleese hopes that if girls learn the basic fundamentals of cheer, they’ll want to continue the sport after the clinic and into high school.

“My goal for these clinics is to bring the spirit of cheerleading to our community,” McAleese said. “Growing up, I remember how much fun I had as a cheerleader, and I want to spread the love for cheer around here.”

McAleese also has the help of several Viking cheerleaders. Volunteering helps the Viking cheerleaders both perfect their moves and connect with their teammates, co-captain Niki Kurtz said. The cheerleaders also receive SSL hours for their assistance.

“It’s a bonding experience,” Kurtz said. “It gives us some time to have fun but also work on our motions and perfect our jumps.”

According to Kurtz, the best part about the clinics is that the cheerleaders learn valuable leadership skills and get to mentor young children.

“The girls attending the clinics appreciate us so much even when we’re only working for two hours,” Kurtz said. “It’s so easy to take out a few hours of our day to help these children and have fun with them.”

The cheerleaders quickly learned the challenges that come with teaching kids. Fidgeting, talking during the routines and not focusing are the most common issues the cheerleaders have come across, and they now have a new-found respect for the coaches, co-captain Andrea Sepulveda said.

McAleese said she enjoys seeing the Viking cheerleaders display their passion for cheerleading while they coach.

“My favorite part of these clinics is watching the Whitman cheerleaders share the love of the sport that I have and passing it on to the girls participating in the clinics,” McAleese said. “Watching each participant leave with a smile is satisfying to both me and the cheerleaders.”