Triangle Blog: Ohio State vs. Michigan, so what?

The Ohio State-Michigan football game was Nov. 26 and the Wolverines defeated the Buckeyes, 40-34, to end their seven-year losing streak.

We’re guessing this story is the first time that most of you have heard about this game.  This is a disturbing fact.

An old advertisement for the Michigan-Ohio State college football game reflects the longevity of one of the best annual college football match-ups. In recent years, however, the game has received reduced enthusiasm, reflecting a disturbing trend. Photo from Sportige.com.

Growing up, we remember this famed game as one of the biggest games of the year for any sports fan.  Everybody watched the game, whether they went to the schools involved or not.

But for the past few years, most people have neither watched nor cared about this historic faceoff.  This attitude is increasingly prevalent in all sports; people are no longer as attached to the big games.

There are multiple reasons for this drop in enthusiasm.  Thanks to sports recap shows like SportsCenter, people just watch the highlights the next morning and don’t bother to watch the actual game.

But another factor that relates directly to the Ohio State-Michigan game is that all the scandals that have rocked college football over the past few years have turned college football’s image of a game of integrity into a game of money.

Whatever the cause, big games like Ohio State-Michigan and Army-Navy have lost their luster in the past few years and it’s a trend we hope ends soon.