Triangle Blog: John Beck could be the answer for the Redskins

The Redskins may have lost to the Panthers Oct. 23, but we believe there is still hope for the future with quarterback John Beck manning the offense.

Quarterback John Beck lines up with his Redskins teammates. Beck, who has taken the starting quarterback job from Rex Grossman, could be the answer to the Redskins' offensive woes. Photo courtesy Real Football Analysis blog.

The Skins are currently 3-3 with the first four games played solely by previous starting quarterback Rex Grossman. Beck replaced Grossman after Grossman threw four interceptions against the Eagles, and Beck started in the next game against the Panthers.

Beck went 22 for 37 against Carolina, throwing for 279 yards and a touchdown while also adding a rushing touchdown.   His versatility and athleticism around the pocket adds something to the Skins offense that Grossman couldn’t offer.  His ability to extend the play also helps the Redskins’ offense, but it only gets tougher from here for Beck.

As he begins getting into his rhythm, defenses will start game-planning against him, and Oct. 30 against the Bills he will be facing the league’s second best defense in interceptions, according to nfl.com.  Only adding to this turnover-outfitted defense are other mounting problems.  He’ll be missing three offensive powerhouses: Santana Moss, who injured his hand against the Panthers, will be out 5-7 weeks; Tim Hightower, who suffered a season ending ACL tear; and Chris Cooley, who was placed on the season ending injured reserve list, according to the Washington Post.

We believe Beck has the tools to be successful this weekend against a surprisingly well-equipped Bills team on Sunday—at least, that he has the tools to be better than Grossman, that is. His only job this Sunday: don’t turn the ball over.  If the Redskins can keep Ryan Fitzpatrick and the Bills offense off the field as much as possible this weekend, they have a great shot at beating a very solid 4-3 squad.  With that being said, it’ll be harder than ever with three offensive starters out.