Art festival transforms Bethesda Row

Local residents crowded downtown Bethesda Oct. 15 and 16 for the 14th annual Bethesda Row Art Festival, which transformed the usual shopping area into an art gallery.

Locals enjoy the art galleries and live music at the 14th annual Bethesda Row Art Festival Oct. 15 and 16. Over a hundred artists, from painters to sculptors to photographers, showcased their work. Photo by Deanna Segall.

Volunteers transformed the streets into an outdoor gallery, which showcased a variety of works, from paintings to fine jewelry to ceramic, glass and wooden crafts. The festival featured works by 185 artists from the Mid-Atlantic region and across the country.

“I think my favorite exhibits were the paintings but also the sculptures that were integrated between booths,” junior Grace DeWitt said. “There aren’t many sculptures around this area, so it was cool to see.”

Visitors enjoyed the crisp autumn weather and live music while they weaved through gallery tents. The festival also held an art sale to benefit the NIH Children’s Charities. Throughout the day, numerous vendors stationed throughout the streets also sold food. Admission was free and open to the public.

DeWitt, who said she enjoyed the event,  felt it was a great, low-key way to see fine art so close to home.

“It was really as if everyone was free to enjoy without feeling the need to make a commitment or a purchase,” she said.

[nggallery id=49]