‘The Ides of March’ portrays corrupt politics

Released Oct. 7, almost a year before the 2012 presidential elections, “The Ides of March” reminds moviegoers that politics is a dirty game. Though the film’s message is cliché, “The Ides of March” still is a great political thriller. With its superb performances and exceptional filmmaking, George Clooney’s fourth directing effort is one of the best films of the year.

Ryan Gosling stars as a young press secretary for Pennsylvania Gov. Mike Murray (George Clooney). During the film, Myers starts to learn that politics is a dirty game. Photo courtesy www.rottentomatoes.com.

Stephen Myers (Ryan Gosling) is a young, sharp press secretary working on his first presidential campaign for Pennsylvania Gov. Mike Morris (Clooney). Myers quickly learns that ideology takes a backseat to the drive for power in political campaigns. As the story unfolds, Myers deals with bribery, sex scandals, bought votes and a loss of faith in the political system.

Based on the 2008 play “Farragut North,” the movie avoids excessive political bias. The film, which focuses on Ohio’s Democratic primary, remains relatively neutral along party lines. Instead, it cynically shows that power, and the drive for it, corrupts politicians from both parties.

The whole cast delivers exceptional performances, and the chemistry among the central characters is excellent. Supporting characters like loyal campaign manager Paul (Phillip Seymour Hoffman) and stubborn journalist Ida (Marisa Tomei) all shine throughout the film. One crucial scene where Clooney and Gosling secretly bargain shows how much the actors use the script to their advantage.

Along with excellent use of cinematography, Clooney isn’t scared to use close-ups to highlight his actors’ performances. In addition, the use of bland colors and dark tone emphasizes the gloomy and cynical atmosphere of the film. Alexandre Desplat’s brilliant score, along with sharp editing, also makes the film a stellar political thriller.

“The Ides of March” takes its title from Shakespeare’s “Julius Caesar,” drawing a parallel between Myers and Brutus. The film reflects the difficulties in choosing between loyalty to a leader and loyalty to an ideology. Et tu, Brute?