Whitman Reacts: Wootton High School student arrested for planning school shooting

Occupy D.C. protests in McPherson Square

Protest signs, sleeping bags and blankets continue to fill D.C.’s McPherson Square, as the protest group Occupy D.C. marches on into its second week.

Protest signs surround McPherson Square in downtown D.C. as part of the Occupy D.C. protest movement. Based on the Occupy Wall Street group, the protesters want to take money out of politics and reform economic policies. Photo by Gigi Silver.

The goal of the Occupy D.C. organization, which is based on the Occupy Wall Street protest group in New York City, is to separate money from politics. The protesters want to reform healthcare, education, environmental and economic policies, according to their website.

Occupy D.C. began camping out in the Square Oct. 1 and will continue to do so for an indefinite period of time, according to the protest’s website. Although the permit expired Oct. 9, the protesters can stay as long as they want, as long as the number of people stays under 500.

The group marches twice a day, each time on a different circular route that leads back to the Square. It publicizes the rallies through Twitter.

The Occupy D.C. group protests in McPherson Square, close to K. St. Although their protest permit expired Oct. 9, they will continue to protest until they reach 500 people, at which point the police will remove them. Photo by Gigi Silver.

During the marches, protesters carry posters with statements against the government and big banks. The posters lie on the sides of the statue of Major General James B. McPherson in the center of the Square, while markers and posterboard clutter the grounds. The posters display messages about unemployment and how one percent of the population controls the country’s money. Many posters advocate economic solutions like job creation, and others like “$ For Students, Not Sallie Mae” want a shift of wealth.

Discussions are led in the square while participants shared their opinions and why they support the Occupy D.C. cause. Anthony, a D.C. resident who preferred not to give his full name, led one of many discussion groups in the Square.

“Human beings have been pressed down in regards to what they can do because they don’t really appreciate what they can do with their minds,” Anthony said. “You can’t think negatively, and you can’t talk negatively. You gotta use your mind to uplift yourself.”

Protesters stretch out in McPherson Square when they're not marching around D.C. Although some of the protestors are homeless, the ones who are not also show support by camping out 24/7. Photo by Gigi Silver.

Not only does the organization march daily, but many participants also sleep in the Square. On one side of the park, there is free food, while on the other, there is a kiosk for participants to buy blankets and bags. The organization also asks its Twitter followers for donations of money or supplies.

Despite the serious protests, activity in the park is sometimes lighthearted. People are sprawled out on their sleeping bags and listening to others play on tin flutes or beat on makeshift drum sets.

Junior Jessica Rosenberg attended the rally this past weekend, and while she supports the overall message of the protests, she felt that the atmosphere of the Square was too casual.

“They weren’t that organized, that was the thing — it was more like entertainment than an actual rally, so that was disappointing,” Rosenberg said. “Lots of people were just listening to music, and there wasn’t enough talking or giving speeches about what they were thinking about how to change our economy and make the world better.”

Even if the event is unsuccessful overall in its efforts to create change, the members of the movement are pleased in how much publicity the rallies have received across the country.

“Regardless of what happens, Americans are no longer able to say ‘We didn’t know,’” Anthony said. “We are shining the light on issues and subjects that I don’t really think have been talked about or signed on in a long time, and we’re trying to do it from a perspective that can gain popularity.”

[nggallery id=46]