Going Out Guide: Halloween for everyone

Too old for trick-or-treating in the neighborhood? Sick of the same old Halloween haunts? Want to take advantage of no school on Halloween? Never fear! We have some new ideas to make your Halloween night spooky and original.

Fright at the Museum at the Museum of Crime and Punishment

Why Go? The Museum of Crime and Punishment in D.C. transforms into a “hunt for dead men walking” in its annual “Fright at the Museum.” These tours aren’t your typical trip to the museum; notorious murderers and their victims roam the halls and interact with you while you learn about their horrifying stories. Tours are not recommended for children under 17.

When: Tours run in half-hour intervals Oct. 21 to 31 from 7:00 p.m. to as late as 10:30 p.m.

Where: Across from the Verizon Center at 575 7th St. NW, between E and F Streets, in downtown D.C.

Price: Tickets are $25.

Trick-or-Treat at Embassy Row

Several embassies in downtown D.C. give out candy on Halloween. Many college students, from Georgetown and American Universities, participate in the festivities. Photo courtesy www.embassy.org.

Why go?: Trick-or-treating at the embassies is a fun way to liven up Halloween. Though the embassies mostly give out traditional candy, trick-or-treating on what is technically foreign soil is a rare opportunity. To make the most of the experience, wear a costume. Traveling has never been this sweet!

What: Several embassies will open up their doors and welcome trick-or-treaters on Halloween. Some of the embassies participating include Finland, Greece and Ireland.

When: October 31. Trick-or-treating starts at 3:30 p.m., and most embassies are closed by 5 p.m.

Where: On Embassy Row, Massachusetts Avenue NW in D.C.

Halloween on Screen at the AFI Silver Theater

This year’s “Halloween on Screen” stars the iconic horror film actor Vincent Price, in honor of his 100th birthday. Photo courtesy www.afi.com.

Why go? Every night starting Oct. 14, you can enjoy hit movies like “Shaun of the Dead,” classics like “Nosferatu” or films by horror icon Vincent Price during AFI Silver Theater’s “Halloween on Screen” movie marathon.

When: Oct. 17 to 31. On most nights, movies start at 9 p.m., while some start at 5 p.m.

Where: The AFI Silver Theater at 8633 Colesville Road in Silver Spring.

Price: General admission tickets are $11.

Nightmare Screamplex at the Maryland Soccerplex

The Maryland Soccerplex transforms into an interactive haunted scream park for Halloween. Journey through a deserted forest, a terrifying maize maze and a haunted mansion at this unique attraction. Photo courtesy www.nightmarescreenplex.com.

Why Go?: If you want an interactive fright-fest, you can visit the only Haunted Scream Park in the area: the Maryland Soccerplex’s “Nightmare Screamplex.” The Screamplex includes a journey through a haunted forest, as well as an intricate corn maze and a haunted house dubbed the “Lost Asylum.” The Screamplex follows a story based on a real haunted legend from the 18th century.

When: Fridays and Saturdays in October from 7 to 10 p.m.

Where: The Maryland Soccerplex at 18031 Central Park Circle in Boyds, Md.

Price: Tickets range from $20 to $25.

Homestead Farm

Pumpkins are on sale at Homestead Farm, which also sells apples and raspberries. You can also take a hayride to get into the fall spirit. Photo courtesy www.homestead-farm.net.

Why go?: If you’re not a horror junkie, Homestead Farm offers Halloween fun without the nightmares. Homestead Farm is a great way to welcome the fall season. Take a hayride through the pumpkin patches or pick your own apples. On your way out, stop in the market for caramel apples, vegetables, fruits, and holiday decorations.

When: Open 7 days a week. Pick-your-own hours are 9 a.m. to 5:30 p.m, and the market’s open 9 a.m. through 9 p.m. until Oct. 31

Where: 5604 Sugarland Road in Poolesville, Md.

Price: Apples are $1.49/lb, while pumpkins are $0.59/lb, but there’s a variety of other products available at the market. It’ll cost you $3 for a hayride, which are only offered on weekends in Oct. until 5 p.m.

Butler’s Orchard

Butler’s Orchard hosts the 31st annual Pumpkin Festival during weekends in October. The Orchard also sells fresh produce, like pumpkins and apples. Photo courtesy www.butlersorchard.com.

Why go?: Enjoy a fall afternoon at Butler’s Orchard, where you can pick your own pumpkins and raspberries throughout the month. Shop in the bakery or the market, where you can find the freshest fruit and vegetables, among many other items. The orchard also offers fun activities for the whole family, including evening hayrides and pick-your-own outings. At the 31st annual Pumpkin Festival, go on a hay ride, get lost in a straw maze, listen to live music and enjoy fall foliage, caramel apples and crafts.

When: Hours for the farm market and pick-your-own fields depend on weather and the activity you want to do, so check the website for details. The Pumpkin Festival runs from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. every Saturday and Sunday in October.

Where: 22200 Davis Mill Road in Germantown, Md.

Price: It’ll cost you $10 for the Pumpkin Festival. The orchard sells pumpkins for $0.59/lb and raspberries for $4.39/lbs, up to three pounds. You can bring your own container to pick fruits or purchase one on site.

Frederick Candlelight Ghost Tours

Take a ghost tour through the historic town of Frederick if you dare. Photo courtesy www.gazette.net.

Why Go? Discover historic Frederick’s eerie past in a 90-minute ghost tour. Hear the hauntingly true tales of gruesome murders and executions dating back to the 1700s.  Visit www.marylandghosttours.com.

When: Check the website for tour dates or plan a private party tour on non-scheduled nights. All tours start at 7:30 p.m.

Where: All tours begin in front of Brewer’s Alley Restaurant and Brewery at 124 N. Market Street in Frederick, Md.

Price: Tickets are $10.

Markoff’s Haunted Forest

Get ready to run for your life at Markoff’s Haunted Forest. The classic Halloween attraction in the area, the Forest offers two terrifying trails. Photo courtesy www.markoffshauntedforest.com.

Why go?: The Forest offers two terrifying trails that are meant to petrify and shock patrons. It also contains a Haunted Hayride and Ghost Hunts, among other frightful things. While you wait in line, there is the option to buy food as well. The forest guarantees a horrifying time for those brave enough to walk the trail where masked men with chainsaws reside.

When: Mainly Fridays and Saturdays between Oct. 7 and 31. Check online at www.markoffshauntedforest.com for changes. The area opens at roughly 7 p.m.

Where: 19120 Martinsburg Rd in Dickerson, Md.

Price: $20 or $25, depending on the date. Online tickets are recommended.