‘Watch the Throne’ doesn’t deserve any bows

After months of speculation, two of hip-hop’s biggest names, Kanye West and Jay-Z, finally released their collaborative album “Watch the Throne” last month. The album features guest appearances by prominent artists, such as Beyoncé and Odd Future’s Frank Ocean.

Jay-Z (left) and Kanye West released their collaborative album last month, but the songs don't feel fresh or original. Although "Watch the Throne" had the potential to be one of the year's best albums, the two hip-hop stars didn't live up to high expectations. Photo courtesy www.killerhiphop.com.

Having two of the most talented and recognized stars in music team up seems like a great idea, but in this particular case, it didn’t work. The two artists are both past their prime and have little left to rap about. The whole album seems like it’s the two hip-hop heavyweights telling each other how rich they are. With lines like “They aint see me cause I pulled up in my other Benz. Last week I was in my other other Benz,” Kanye demonstrates the lack of originality present throughout the rest of the album.

There isn’t much depth to the tracks, and the album seems to drag on forever. Instead of showing the rappers’ new innovations, the songs feature more of the same. For example, “Welcome To The Jungle” features an uninteresting, repetitive, beat and horrible flows by Jay-Z and Kanye.

Although the album has its downfalls, some of the tracks are salvageable. The lead single “Otis” features samples from soul legend, Otis Redding. “No Church In The Wild” is also a standout because of Frank Ocean’s chorus and rock-inspired beat.

Overall, the two music giants couldn’t live up to all the hype surrounding the album. Fans expected much more than a weak and unoriginal attempt at what could have been one of the year’s best albums.