OFWGKTA releases new album, “Goblin”

Tyler, The Creator, is the leader of Odd Future Wolf Gang Kill Them All,  one of the music industry’s most talked about groups in recent months. The 20-year-old rapper will finally be able to bring his twisted imagery to the mainstream with his first major label album, produced entirely by Tyler himself.

Since the group’s other records are available for free download on its website, OFWGKTA hasn’t made much profit off of its fame, but this will change with Tyler’s new album, “Goblin,” released May 10.

OFWGKTA released its new album, "Goblin" May 10. The hip-hop album features both vulgar songs and sincere songs. Photo courtesy www.decibelsoup.com.

Tyler’s music isn’t for everyone. His extremely graphic portrayals of murder, rape and excessive drug use shock even the most seasoned listeners. Though dark, “Goblin” does have its redeeming qualities. Tyler’s rugged production complements his absurd and sometimes humorous lyrics.

“Don’t do anything I say in this song. It’s [expletive] fiction, if anything happens, don’t [expletive] blame me,” Tyler says at the beginning of a song on the album, “Radicals.”

Although some could argue that Tyler’s lyrics are disgusting and immature, there are moments of brilliance in his dynamic wordplay and flow, such as in the sincere song “Her,” where Tyler raps openly about a teenage crush.

“We talk every night,” he sings. “She cry to me about her guy, and when we text, I get pissed when I get no reply.”

On “Goblin,” Tyler reveals a much more personal side to his raps, as opposed to his earlier material, which was mostly fiction.

“He still hasn’t called me yet, but that’s a whole other argument,” Tyler says, referencing his runaway father. He also raps about his newfound fame saying, “I haven’t even killed myself yet, and I already want my life back.”

Overall, “Goblin” lives up to the months of hype from all the hip-hop blogs. Tyler, The Creator, has proved himself as one of the music industry’s rising stars.