Alexandra Robbins (’94) promotes new book in Bethesda

New York Times bestselling author Alexandra Robbins (’94) held a book signing at the Barnes & Noble in Bethesda May 7 for her new book, “The Geeks Shall Inherit the Earth: Popularity, Quirk Theory, and Why Outsiders Thrive After High School.”

Author Alexandra Robbins (’94) signs a copy of her new book, “The Geeks Shall Inherit the Earth.” At the book signing, Robbins also discussed high school social cliques and her own experiences with them. Photo by Deanna Segall.

In her latest book, Robbins stresses the idea that the popular kids in high school aren’t necessarily the most liked. While giving lectures for her other books, she met many kids who felt discouraged because they weren’t part of the “popular crowd.” She urges teenagers to understand that being excluded doesn’t mean something is wrong with them.

Robbins also discusses “Quirk Theory,” or the idea that traits that make kids seem more unusual in high school also make them more appealing as adults.

During her own high school experience, Robbins served as editor-in-chief of the Black & White, which inspired her to become a reporter. As she started writing articles, she found she often had too much to say for the allotted space, so she switched switched to a new medium: books. Her books, such as “The Overachievers,” center around school life.

Robbins, who identifies herself as a dork, said she was a floater in high school but often felt overworked.

“I was sucked into a frenzy of competition,” she said. “I feel like I did school the wrong way.”

School plays a major role in the development of social standards, Robbins said. To help change teenagers’ outlook on what is “cool,” schools should focus on promoting a variety of clubs and activities, not just athletics.

“Whitman did a pretty good job of not only highlighting the jocks,” she said.