LIVE: Baseball takes on Quince Orchard in reigonal finals
The TikTokification of music — a destructive trend
The rising popularity of UFC with Gen Z
Landon School hosts 70th annual Azalea Festival
Track and Field competes at county championships
Girls lacrosse outclasses Walter Johnson 11–7 in regional title

Rookie John Wall soon to surpass Rose

Even though the Washington Wizards have one of the worst records in the league, rookie sensation John Wall is becoming an NBA superstar. Throughout his playing career, in both college and in the NBA, Wall has been closely compared to another pupil of coach John Calipari: Derrick Rose.

The Wizards failed to beat the Bulls this season, but John Wall is developing into an all-star. Photo courtesy Getty Images.

Rose, who is having the best season of his three year career, is averaging 24 points along with eight assists a game and is so far the leading candidate for the MVP award.   He is leading the Chicago Bulls to its best season since 1997 with a current record of 51-19.  The Bulls are now the best team in the Eastern Conference and ahead of the Miami Heat.  The Bulls are also a favorite to win their first championship since 1997.

Although Wall will clearly be the face of the franchise for the next decade, he has yet to prove to the league and to the fans that he is a true winner as, once again, the Wizards are a lottery team and are the second worst team in the East with a record of 17-53, which includes its abysmal road record which is currently at 1-29.  Wall has the rare, explosive talent which Rose possesses, as well as the eye-popping speed, ball handling skills and the ability to drive to the hoop whenever needed.

Shooting the ball is the only skill that separates the two players.  Rose increased his scoring average from his rookie year and is now eighth in the league in scoring.  When looking at the two players during their rookie years, they were nearly identical.  Rose averaged 16 points and 6 assists a game whereas Wall is currently averaging 15 points and leads all rookies with 9 assists a game.  Unlike Rose, Wall immediately took on a legitimate role on his team, while Rose came off the bench behind mentor Kirk Hinrich.

Although his team is not doing exceptionally well, Wall can and will develop into the player Rose is today.  He is still adjusting the speed of the NBA, but can easily improve his shooting skills in the off-season just like Rose.  Wall will be the next NBA superstar and hopefully restore the Wizards’ failing franchise.