LIVE: Baseball takes on Quince Orchard in reigonal finals
The TikTokification of music — a destructive trend
The rising popularity of UFC with Gen Z
Landon School hosts 70th annual Azalea Festival
Track and Field competes at county championships
Girls lacrosse outclasses Walter Johnson 11–7 in regional title

Author discusses dangers of cellphone use, possible education solutions

Devra Davis spoke to Pyle and Whitman parents March 17 about her new book, Disconnect, which covers the dangers of cell phone radiation. She proposed a pilot program for Pyle and Whitman to teach students how to safely use cell phones.Davis presented experimental research which suggests that overexposure to cell phone radiation can increase the risk of brain cancer and reduce sperm counts.

Although no one has collected comprehensive evidence on the correlation between cancer and cell phones, Davis said there’s enough data to be cautious.

“I cannot prove to you that this is causing brain cancer now, although I believe that it is, but I don’t think I should have to,” she said. “Your great-grandchildren will suffer the consequences if we wait until we have definite evidence.”

But Davis doesn’t advocate stopping cell phone use; rather, she said it’s necessary to use cell phones in a more health-conscious way, one that won’t be detrimental to other people.

“If you’re in an elevator, a train or a bus and everybody’s on their phone, you’re getting the pinging effect of all of their radiation around you,” she said. “That’s something we need to have an informed national conversation about, because there are ways to reduce that radiation.”

Individuals can take everyday precautions to reduce their exposure: use a head set or the speaker phone, carry a cell phone in a bag instead of a pocket and avoid making calls when there’s a weak signal.