Joan of Arc’s new album is focused, creative, ‘Life Like’

It’s been exactly one month since indie-rock band Joan Of Arc released their experimental concept album, “Oh Brother.” Leaving hardly any time for those tracks to sink in, their latest album, “Life Like,” will come out on May 10. However, “Life Like” is a more focused, listener-friendly album, with shorter songs that make the whole album more interesting.

Photo courtesy www.israbox.com.

Singer Tim Kinsella chose to record “Life Like” with one ensemble, including a guitar, a bass, drums and vocals. This makes it much easier to follow along with the album. It’s recorded with one complete band, rather than “Oh Brother,” which featured four different musical ensembles.

The band recorded the album with famed producer Steve Albini, who has also produced Nirvana and The Pixies. Albini’s creative input helped the band achieve a more focused sound on “Life Like.”  The band’s fans funded the album, raising over $8,000 so they could record with the infamous producer .

This album is very different from what Joan Of Arc has released in the past few years. Instead of the confusing, experimental music they’re known for making, “Life Like”  is their “poppiest” album to date. Songs such as “Love Life” and “Life Force have great hooks and catchy melodies ,and Kinsella’s unique songwriting is put to good use in songs like“Still Life” and “Deep State.”