The best movie theaters in town

Technology like Netflix and Hulu make good ol’ movie theaters under appreciated. In an attempt to bring back a dying trend, Black & White scoured the area to find the best under-the-radar theaters.

AFI Silver Theatre

This theater is unlike any other. Not only does it play recent independent movies and documentaries, but it brings back the classics, from “Office Space” to “Casablanca.” Its state-of-the-art sound and projection system provides the best experience for the educated movie-goer. In addition to regular movie showings, AFI hosts a series of film festivals throughout the year. Festivals include everything from the 48 Go Green, which includes short films about the environment, to the 48 Hour Film Project, which brings together film makers from around the world. For the passionate movie-lover, this is the ideal place to enjoy modern and classic films.

8633 Colesville Road, Silver Spring, MD 20910

Uptown Theater

With its single screen and classic exterior reminiscent of the typical ’50s movie theater, Uptown promises a unique way to watch movies. This two story building has 840 seats and includes an open balcony. This charming theater is the perfect place to watch a special movie. Uptown’s best feature is its massive 70 by 32 feet screen, which makes movies all the more visually stunning.

3426 Connecticut Avenue N.W., Washington, DC

E-Street Cinema

E-Street features some of the highest rated independent and foreign films as well as film festivals. The theater recently showcased Oscar nominees like “The King’s Speech,” “Black Swan” and “127 Hours.” The theater’s screenings vary from modern movies during the day to midnight showings of classic movies, like “Rocky Horror Picture Show” and “The Godfather.” Its secluded D.C. location provides a cozy atmosphere to enjoy the best documentaries and some more obscure movies. The inside of E-Street is underground and each theater has its own private hallway, allowing viewers to fully immerse themselves in the films.

555 11th St. NW, Washington, DC

Avalon Theater

A non-profit independent theater, this Chevy Chase venue prides itself on its warm neighborhood atmosphere. With its retro exterior and ’20s themed décor, Avalon provides the most authentic movie experience for those hoping to relive the past. Like Uptown, this theater shows a limited amount of movies on its two screens, usually a combination of modern and classic pictures. They dedicate the weekends to more family-oriented films. Along with the big feature films, Avalon is the best theater in town to watch the newest and best documentaries from around the world. Mark your calendars for Filmfest DC, Avalon’s international film festival, which runs from April 8 to April 16.

5612 Connecticut Avenue, Washington, DC