OFWGKTA’s music as crazy as its name

The energetic, spontaneous feel of OFWGKTA seems to mirror the personality of its members, each of which brings their own unique talent to the group. Photo courtesy http://cdn.stereogum.com.

Odd Future Wolf Gang Kill Them All is a new hip-hop collective from Los Angeles. While this may sound like nothing out of the ordinary, they’re creating a stir in the music industry because of their cult-like following and raunchy lyrics about rape, drug use and murder.Hip-hop hasn’t been this exciting since the mid ’90s, when groups had an undeniable work ethic and creativity — traits that OFWGKTA certainly possesses.

Each of the group’s ten distinctive members brings something unique to the group. The most popular members are group leader Tyler and his younger brother, Earl Sweatshirt.

Tyler seems set on having his group be the “next big thing” in the hip-hop industry.  Tyler produces most, if not all of OFWGKTA’s material and is the first group member to have a  separate record deal with a major label, XL Records.

Much like the legendary Wu-Tang Clan that took the early 90’s hip-hop world by storm, each member of the group has released solo albums in addition to collective mixtapes.

It’s common for a track  to start off on a calm note.  Then, before you know it, a member starts yelling at the top of his lungs about killing police officers. This gives the group a spontaneous feel.

There’s at least one weak link in most hip-hop crews, but that’s not the case with OFWGKTA. Each member possesses an incredible amount of raw talent.

The group doesn’t sell their music, but instead releases it for free on the group’s websites, oddfuture.Tumblr.com and oddfuture.com. The only member who has chosen to sell his albums is Tyler, whose sophomore effort, “Goblin,” will go on sale in April.

The group’s live performances are few and far between, and are notorious for being shut down by the police and ending in riots. They recently embarked on their first tour, which sold out in every city they performed.  Two of the members even ended up performing on “Late Night with Jimmy Fallon,” backed by one of hip-hops’ most legendary groups, The Roots.

The group is growing at a rapid pace within the music industry. Hopefully, they’ll become what rap music has been waiting for — a shot of young energy and talent.