Spring’s must-see music tours

It’s almost Spring again, and many indie-rock artists are hitting the road for their annual spring tours. The Black & White compiled a list of the must-see tours of the season, including everything from the genre bending Math-rock icons Tera Melos to the soft folk songs of Philadelphia’s Kurt Vile.

Titus Andronicus: New Jersey rockers Titus Andronicus will embark on a 38-stop tour with indie rockers Bright Eyes and The Pogues. The band is touring on the tails of their 2010 hit album, “The Monitor,” and this concert won’t disappoint. The band stops in the area March 7 at Rams Head in Baltimore, March 8 at the 9:30 Club in D.C., and again at the Black Cat in D.C. on April 27.

Be prepared for a noisy concert when Lightning Bolt performs. Photo courtesy www.thedecibeltolls.com.

Lightning Bolt: Famous for their “guerilla shows,” where the band plays on the venue floor, this Rhode Island duo is one of the most exciting and energetic live bands in recent years.  Although the band only consists of drums, vocals and a bass, Lightning Bolt is considered one of the loudest live bands on tour, so bring earplugs. While the nearest city the band is coming to is New York, this concert is definitely worth the trip.

OFF:  Veteran punk rocker Keith Morris’ new band, OFF, brings back the classic sound and attitude of early ‘80s hardcore punk. This show is sure to be one of the must-see shows of the spring. The band is touring with fellow punk rockers, Trash Talk. See them live on their first tour that stops in D.C. at the Red Palace March 24.

Marnie Stern/Tera Melos: Math-Rock, a genre typically associated with odd time signatures and sudden tempo changes, icon Tera Melos will go on a massive two month tour. The band will be joined by one of the genre’s best upcoming artists, guitar virtuoso Marnie Stern and drumming phenomenon Zach Hill. This is a must see show for any math-rock fan. See the two bands March 2 at the Red Palace in D.C.

Kurt Vile: Indie-folk singer Kurt Vile will go on a short North American tour this spring to promote his latest album, “Smoke Ring For My Halo.” The tour includes a few stops at independent record stores, including D.C.’s Red Onion Records and Books March 2 and Baltimore’s Sound Garden, also on March 2.