LIVE: Baseball takes on Blair in state quarterfinals
Bomb threat prompts evacuation of Walt Whitman High School
Girls lacrosse destroys Montgomery Blair 20–3 instate quarter-finals
LIVE: Baseball takes on Quince Orchard in reigonal finals
The rising popularity of UFC with Gen Z

The rising popularity of UFC with Gen Z

Boys basketball upsets number one Churchill

The boys basketball team took down cross-town rival and division-leading the Churchill Bulldogs, 57-49, evening their record at 9-9 on the season and 6-6 in the division on Feb. 8.

Senior Ian Ross had 12 points and anchored the Viking defense throughout the game. Photo by Billy Bird.

The Vikings gave up a quick 2 points to start the game, but guard Jake Harrison made a 2-point shot of his own to tie the game early.  The Bulldogs broke the tie and went on a 6-0 run to give them the lead midway through the quarter.  However, the Vikings began to play strong defense and force turnovers.  Forward Andrew Castagnetti nailed a 3-pointer with just over a minute left in the first period of play to give the Vikings their first lead of the game and the advantage heading into the second quarter.

Although the Vikings gave up another early basket to start the second quarter, Harrison was fouled while attempting a 3-point shot and went to the foul line.  Harrison sank all 3 free-throws just 1 minute into the quarter to give the Vikings a 14-12 lead.  Shortly after, the Bulldogs tied the game once again at 14.  However, small forward Daniel Voigt made a lay-up in the lane that sparked a 7-1 run for the Vikings and gave them a 21-15 lead with just over 3 minutes left in the half.

Despite the Vikings solid offense, the Bulldogs matched the 7-1 Viking run with an 8-0 run of their own to close out the half.  The Vikings went into the locker room down 23-21.
Again, the Bulldogs began the second half with a 2-point basket to build a 4-point lead.  However, guard James Dionne sank a 3-pointer to pull the Vikings back within 1 point.  The Vikings fell behind and allowed the Bulldogs to build a 6-point lead midway through the quarter.  However, center Ian Ross proved to be too much for the Bulldogs to handle, as Ross grabbed 3 rebounds and scored 4 points all in 1 minute.  Ross’ 4 points were a part of 9-0 Viking run that handed the team the lead once again.  However, similar to the end of the second quarter, the Bulldogs put together a 7-0 run to reclaim the lead and enter the final period of play up 37-33.

For the first time all game, the Vikings were able to strike first in the quarter when Harrison made a 2-point shot.  Ross took over in the paint and scored 6 straight points that gave the Vikings a 4-point lead with just over 4 minutes left in the game.  Although the Bulldogs steadily held 4 points behind the Vikings, guards Dionne and Harrison combined to make 7 of the team’s final 8 free throws to seal the victory for the Vikings over the division-leading Bulldogs.

“The win was huge especially because it was Churchill,” Harrison said.  “We knew coming in that they weren’t as good as their record.”

The victory over the Bulldogs avenged a loss earlier in the season, 49-30, on Jan. 14 at Churchill.  The Vikings also handed the Bulldogs their second straight division loss after the team started a perfect 10-0.

Harrison had a season-high 21 points to lead the Vikings, while Voigt added 11 of his own.  Ross had a double-double by scoring 12 points and grabbing a team leading 10 rebounds.

The Vikings look to put together a winning steak when they take on the Sherwood Warriors at home on Feb. 11.

“This gives us a whole lot of momentum going into these last couple games,” Harrison said.  “If we played like this against the best team in the county, than we know we can beat anybody.”