LIVE: Baseball takes on Blair in state quarterfinals
Bomb threat prompts evacuation of Walt Whitman High School
Girls lacrosse destroys Montgomery Blair 20–3 instate quarter-finals
LIVE: Baseball takes on Quince Orchard in reigonal finals
The rising popularity of UFC with Gen Z

The rising popularity of UFC with Gen Z

Boys basketball defeats cross-town rival Walter Johnson

The boys basketball team defeated cross-town rival the Walter Johnson Wildcats, 56-52, improving their record to 6-8 on the season on Jan. 24.

The Vikings fell behind early by giving up 5 straight points to the Wildcats. However, guard Bryan Joel made one of his two free-throws and followed it up with a 3-pointed to pull the team within one point. The teams battled back and forth, but the Vikings were unable to grab the lead. The Wildcats put together a 10-6 run to close out the first quarter and build a 21-16 lead.

The Wildcats started off the second quarter with another 5-0 run that put the Vikings behind 10 points. However, center Ian Ross made a 2-point shot that sparked a 9-0 run to close the Vikings within just one point of the Wildcats. The Wildcats were able to add a 3-pointer just before the end of the half and entered the break up 33-29.

The Vikings came out of halftime firing with Ian Ross knocking down 4 foul shots that tied the game at 33 less than a minute into the second half. The teams traded shots with neither squad gaining a significant lead. However, with 30 seconds remaining in the third quarter, Joel hit a 2-pointer to give the Vikings their first lead of the game. Despite the Vikings’ tough defense, the team gave up 2 points just before the quarter ended and entered the final quarter of play down 39-38.

Ross started off the fourth quarter with a 2-point shot that gave the Vikings the lead again with just over 6 minutes left in the game. The shot sparked a 8-0 Viking run that gave the team a late 7-point lead. The Wildcats mounted a late rally that pulled the team within 2 points. However, guard Jake Harrison and small forward Daniel Voigt made their foul shots that sealed the victory.

Ross led the team with 19 points and 5 rebounds. Voigt added 13 points and Joel and Harrison each had 11.

The Vikings look to continue their 2-game winning streak when they take on the Wootton Patriots at home on Jan. 26. The Vikings lost to the Patriots, 64-44, earlier in the season on Dec. 22.