In Rome, Bethesda Catholic students sing for pope

This was no ordinary field trip.

Nine students from Bethesda’s St. Jane de Chantal School traveled to Rome with their parents, music teacher and principal where they joined thousands of students from around the world to sing for Pope Benedict XVI at the twenty-sixth Pueri Cantores International Congress Jan. 1.

Pueri Cantores, which means “Young Singers” in Latin, began in 1945 as the official organization of youth choirs representing the Catholic Church.

Once they join Pueri Cantores, schools like St. Jane de Chantal can participate in various local, national and international choral events throughout the year.

“When an International Congress is about to occur or comes up on the radar, [schools] say ‘Gee, wouldn’t that be great,’ and work real hard for that,” said Patrick Flahive, Pueri Cantores’ American president.

Not only did the Bethesda students travel to Rome, but they also met the Pope.

“They practiced a lot,” St. Jane principal Elizabeth Hamilton said. “They gave up every Friday afternoon, but were really excited.”

The school sent three third graders, four fourth graders and two eighth graders on the trip.

Although the International Congress was a five-day event, Pueri Cantores made sure that students met others from around the world.

“We like to mix them up, so they can meet each other, become friends with each other and recognize a common spirit of friendship and peace,” Flahive said.