LIVE: Baseball takes on Quince Orchard in reigonal finals
The rising popularity of UFC with Gen Z
Landon School hosts 70th annual Azalea Festival
Track and Field competes at county championships
Girls lacrosse outclasses Walter Johnson 11–7 in regional title

Redskins need serious offseason work

Every year brings more and more issues with the Washington Redskins. Yet again, the team is coming off another nightmare season full of controversy. First, Albert Haynesworth failed to lived up to all of his hype and eventually became fed up with the coaching staff. Then, Rex Grossman ended up starting over Donavan McNabb, who didn’t show Redskins fans much this season.  Despite the internal controversy and horrible execution on the field, the Redskins can successfully rebound for the 2011-2012 season.

Grossman started the final three games for the Redskins. Photo courtesy Yahoo! Sports.

The Skins must first part ways with the so-called franchise quarterback in McNabb, as he turned out to be a failed experiment. Rex Grossman proved that he knows the offense better than McNabb, even though Grossman started only three games. This does not help McNabb’s chances of returning as the starter or even to the team. As for Haynesworth, it may be out of the question, but he should remain with the team next season. He proved to the coaches that he can work  well in the 4-3 defense as seen in the game against the Bears. He is still a rare and dominant force in the league and should earn the starting job for next season.

However, the Redskins need to focus on improving the offensive line, the defensive secondary and the receiving core. The refurbished offensive line this year turned out to be ineffective and the team should look for young talent in free agency or in the draft. The secondary should also improve, since cornerback Carlos Rogers will probably leave the team. The Redskins should bring back their former pro-bowler Champ Bailey, making him and DeAngelo Hall a deadly duo. The receiving core surprisingly showed success this season with the addition of Anthony Armstrong, but Santana Moss may be on his way out of D.C.

Once again, drafting a quarterback this year has come to be a debate as there are few noteworthy prospects that would be available to the team at the 10th pick. Jake Locker, Blaine Gabbert, Ryan Mallet and Cam Newton may all be available; however, the Redskins should stick with Grossman at quarterback. Although it may seem unlikely, Grossman can have a breakout season with the team next season.

Despite another miserable season in the books, the Redskins have many things to look forward to for the next season. They should stop adding big-name veteran players and should stick with the players who are fitting well with the team’s offensive and defensive schemes such as running back Ryan Torain and linebacker Lorenzo Alexander. These players flew under the radar in the offseason, but proved to be effective against opposing teams and should remain with the Redskins if they want to make a playoff run next season.