Q&A with OFF! vocalist Keith Morris

Keith Morris has been at the forefront of the American punk rock scene for over two decades, playing in legendary bands like “Black Flag,” “Circle Jerks,” and most recently, “OFF!.” The Black & White talked with Morris about his past experiences and his new project.

CAPTION. Photo courtesy smutlife.com.

Black & White: How did you get into music, and how did you end up in Black Flag?

Keith Morris: It kind of just happened. It wasn’t a pre-mediated thing. [“OFF!” guitarist] Greg Ginn and I, we weren’t real musicians. Greg just had a guitar and happened to have a few songs written. We were just angry and frustrated. We lived in a musical period where there wasn’t a lot of really exciting music, so we decided to make our own. We fed off of other punk bands such as “The Sex Pistols” and “X”. There was no plan or no map. We were just happy to be in a room and happy making a bunch of noise.

B&W: How did “OFF!” start?

KM:  “OFF!” guitarist, Dimitri Coats came to my other band at the time,“The Circle Jerks,” and wanted to help us write songs and make a record. He came in and helped us out for a little and the rest of the band didn’t like the direction he was taking the band. There were a lot of fights and arguments. They forced me out of the band. So, after they decided to fire him I left “The Circle Jerks” to be in a new band with Dimitri. We called up a few musicians that I knew would be right for the band and that group of people became “OFF!”

B&W: What is the songwriting process like?

KM:  We would usually meet at my house and start listening to records by “The Damned,” “Sonic Youth,” “Thin Lizzy” and “Television.” And we would also get really jacked up on caffeine and write songs all day.

B&W: The album has a very abrasive and raw production quality to it. Was that planned?

KM: When a record has really shiny production and the rough edges are buffed that’s called “radio friendly.” That’s not what this is about. We’re not friends with the radio. If the radio wants to play our records that’s fine, but we’re going to make a record for us. We’re angry and upset and that’s what fuels us. We just set up and blast away. That’s what rock and roll is supposed to be.