LIVE: Baseball takes on Blair in state quarterfinals
Bomb threat prompts evacuation of Walt Whitman High School
Girls lacrosse destroys Montgomery Blair 20–3 instate quarter-finals
LIVE: Baseball takes on Quince Orchard in reigonal finals
The rising popularity of UFC with Gen Z

The rising popularity of UFC with Gen Z

Boys basketball continues losing streak, falls to Northwest

The boys basketball team’s losing streak climbed to six games with a 56-51 loss to divisional opponent the Northwest Jaguars, dropping their record to 4-7 on Jan. 7.

Both teams began the game slow with neither squad scoring a point until over 2 minutes had passed in the first quarter. Poor ball movement by the Vikings led to a Jaguar breakaway for the first points of the game. Although center Ian Ross scored a two-point lay-up, the Jaguars had already opened up 10-2 lead. Ross grabbed a rebound late in the quarter and put it back up for another 2 points. However, a Jaguar player was able to score right before the buzzer sounded and the Vikings entered the second quarter down 12-4.

The Vikings gave up a quick 7-0 run that put the Jaguars up by 15 points early in the second quarter and forced Coach Chris Lun to call a timeout. Although small forward Daniel Voigt came out of the timeout by hitting a 3-pointer, the Jaguars went on another 7-0 run. The Vikings were able to add 4 points in the final minutes of the half to close the lead to 29-13 entering halftime.

Voigt made 1 of his 2 free-throws to begin the second half and spark a 10-2 run and pulled the Vikings within 8 points. The teams traded shots to end the third quarter and the Vikings had a 9 point deficit entering the final quarter of play.

Guard Jake Harrison hit 2 of his 6 free-throws to begin the fourth quarter to cut the Jaguar lead to 7. The Vikings continued to battle from behind throughout the entire quarter, chipping away at their deficit. With only 53.4 seconds left in the game, guard James Dionne nailed a 3-pointer to pull the team within 4 points, the closest they had been since the Vikings were down 4-2. However, the Jaguars hit the majority of their foul shots and proved to be too much for the Vikings to handle.

Guard Bryan Joel and Ross led the team with 13 points, while Voigt added 10 points and led the team with 8 rebounds.

The loss to Northwest put the Vikings division record at 1-4, with their only division win against Richard Montgomery. The Vikings look to end their 6 game losing streak against cross-town rival and division opponent, the Churchill Bulldogs away on Jan. 14.