LIVE: Baseball takes on Blair in state quarterfinals
Bomb threat prompts evacuation of Walt Whitman High School
Girls lacrosse destroys Montgomery Blair 20–3 instate quarter-finals
LIVE: Baseball takes on Quince Orchard in reigonal finals
The TikTokification of music — a destructive trend
The rising popularity of UFC with Gen Z

The rising popularity of UFC with Gen Z

Boys basketball loses second straight game

The boys basketball team lost to the Wootton Patriots, 64-44, on Dec. 22, dropping the team’s record to 4-3 on the season.

The Vikings came out strong with a quick three-pointer by small forward Daniel Voigt in the first ten seconds of the game. However, the team made several turnovers that the Patriots converted into points. Wootton went on a 7-0 run midway through the quarter that built a 16-11 lead heading into the second quarter.

The Vikings started the second quarter off with another turnover that led to a Patriot basket. Although the Vikings came within six after small forward Nick Yockey made a two-point shot, the Patriots went on a 10-0 run that gave them a 16-point lead at halftime.

The boys showed signs of a comeback when they scored the first 4 points of the second half. The Vikings closed within 11 points, but three late turnovers prevented the team from narrowing the gap and the boys entered the final quarter of play down 41-28.

The teams traded shots for the beginning of the fourth quarter. Three three-point shots by guard Bryan Joel and Voigt closed cut the Patriot lead to eight with a little less than 5 minutes remaining in the game. However, the Patriots put together a 14-0 run that included four made foul shots from a play in which guard Jake Harrison received a foul and Yockey earned a technical foul. Guard James Dionne hit a three-pointer with less than a minute left, but the Patriots proved too much for the Vikings to handle.

“We came out flat without any energy,” Voigt said.

Yockey and Voigt each scored a team high 12 points . Joel added 9 while center Ian Ross led the team with 6 rebounds.

The boys will look to rebound after the long break before their next game against cross-town rival B-CC (0-6) on Jan. 4.

“We’re going into break with a bad taste in out mouth,” Voigt said. “Hopefully that will motivate us to turn things around.”