LIVE: Baseball takes on Blair in state quarterfinals
Bomb threat prompts evacuation of Walt Whitman High School
Girls lacrosse destroys Montgomery Blair 20–3 instate quarter-finals
LIVE: Baseball takes on Quince Orchard in reigonal finals
The rising popularity of UFC with Gen Z

The rising popularity of UFC with Gen Z

Boys basketball falls to Walter Johnson, 58-49

The boys basketball team fell to cross-town rivals, Walter Johnson (2-4), 59-48, on Dec. 20, dropping its record to 4-2 on the season.

The Vikings fell behind early, giving up a quick two points to start the game. The boys were able to rally though when small forward Daniel Voigt hit a three point shot to put the team up by a point. However, the Wildcats closed the quarter out with an 8-2 run that put them up 12-7 heading into the second quarter.

The Vikings started the second quarter off strong with a free-throw from guard Bryan Joel pulling the team within 4 points.  After giving up a lay-up to the Wildcats, Voigt and guard Connor Vergara, who filled in for injured guard Jake Harrison, combined for five 3-pointers which were part of a 16-8 run for the Vikings to close out the half. The team entered halftime up 24-22.

Despite the Vikings ending the first half on a high note, the Wildcats started off the second half with a 14-0 run that built a 12-point lead which the Vikings could not overcome. The team only scored 7 points in the third quarter, while the Wildcats put on an offensive showing, scoring 20, to end the quarter up 42-31.

The Vikings entered the final quarter down 11 points and battled from behind the entire period. The Wildcats countered every shot from the Vikings and both the teams put up 17 points in the fourth and the Vikings were unable to close the gap.

Vergara led the way off the bench with 15 points, all of which came from 3-point shots, while Voigt provided 13 and a team leading 9 rebounds. Guard James Dionne also came off the bench and supplied 7 points and 2 steals.

The boys look to rebound against the Wootton Patriots (2-2) on the road on Dec. 22.