LIVE: Baseball takes on Blair in state quarterfinals
Bomb threat prompts evacuation of Walt Whitman High School
Girls lacrosse destroys Montgomery Blair 20–3 instate quarter-finals
LIVE: Baseball takes on Quince Orchard in reigonal finals
The rising popularity of UFC with Gen Z

The rising popularity of UFC with Gen Z

Boys basketball squeezes past Richard Montgomery

Varisy boys basketball defeated  the Richard Montgomery Rockets, 52-49, in its first division game Dec. 17, bringing its record to 4-1.

The Vikings started the game strong and opening up an early 5-2 lead.  The Rockets made poor passes that resulted in two turnovers.  The teams then began to trade shots for the majority of the quarter.  However, small forward Daniel Voigt nailed back-to-back three-point shots that were part of an 8-0 run for the Vikings.  At the end of the first quarter, the Vikes were up 18-10.

Guard Bryan Joel made a two-point shot to open up the second quarter.  Then, the Rockets put together a 5-0 run that pulled them within 5 points midway through the period.  However, Voigt hit another pair of three-point shots that put the team up 29-20 going in to halftime.

The boys maintained their lead for the first portion of the third quarter and at one point built an 11-point lead.  However, the Rockets went on a 16-4 run to close out the quarter, which tied the game up at 39.

The Rockets opened up the final quarter of play with a two-point shot that gave them their first lead of the game since they led 2-1 in the first.  The teams battled back and forth throughout the quarter, but neither team went up by more than three.

Joel hit two of the team’s ten fourth quarter free throws with 16.7 seconds left to give the Vikings a 52-49 lead heading into the final possession.  The Rockets had two opportunities to tie the game, but their final shot with only 4.7 seconds remaining rimmed out and Voigt grabbed one of his team leading 9 rebounds to secure the win.

Voigt also led the team in points with 15, while power forward Nick Yockey added 13.  Guard James Dionne came off the bench and provided five fourth quarter points.

The Vikings will look to continue their two game winning streak when they take on the Walter Johnson Wildcats (1-3) on the road on Dec. 20.