Glee, Myself and I: ‘Furt’

This was my favorite episode yet.  It had just the right amount of drama, jokes, songs and feel-good moments.

Carol Burnett made a guest appearance in the episode as Sue Sylvester's mother. Photo courtesy http://www.sheknows.com.

The episode centered on weddings: one between Kurt’s dad, Burt, and Finn’s mom, Carol, and the other between Sue and — who else? — Sue.  Burt and Carol’s wedding provided the Glee club with good opportunities for cute songs and dances. Sue’s ceremony, on the other hand, was funny and just plain weird.  In total Sue-style, she ordains the wedding and marries herself to none other than… herself.  In a tracksuit dress. Enough said.

The writers ease the audience into Sue’s inner secrets of her past bit by bit.  In the first season, we discovered that Sue let Becky — a girl with Down’s syndrome — onto the cheerleading team because she has a sister, Jean, with the same condition.  This week, we found out she bullies people because her mother left her family to become a “professional Nazi hunter,” leaving Sue and Jean to fend for themselves.  In light of this, I’ve softened up a bit towards her.

It also helped that Sue, as principal, also pledged to protect Kurt and expel Karofsky if he ever physically hurt Kurt in front of a witness.  After Kurt, with his father’s help, tells Sue that Karofsky threatened to kill him, she immediately expels him.  Way to go, Sue.

Before Sue’s assistance, Rachel decided that Kurt had suffered enough of Karofsky’s bullying and rallied the New Direction  boys to stand up for Kurt.  Everyone, except Finn, stands up for him, and Sam even takes a few punches to his precious face.  Rachel’s also coming off better these days, but that may just have been because of her lately minimized role.

After Finn feels guilty for not standing up for Kurt, he makes a speech at Burt and Carol’s wedding to apologize to him. Finn, stating the obvious in a touching way, says that they’re brothers now and sings “Just the Way You Are” in Kurt’s honor.  It was a heartwarming move that left me smiling until the end of the episode.

But, as wonderful as I felt after the wedding scene, the feeling quickly dissipated after Karofsky and his father appealed to the school board and  allowed Karofsky to return to school. Kurt refused to continue living in fear, and decided to transfer to Dalton Academy for their zero-tolerance attitude towards bullying.   As much as the Glee club members beg him to reconsider, he insisted that a new environment is exactly what he needs.

Next week’s episode is the one we’ve all been waiting for, but with a twist: it’s sectionals, but Kurt is in the competition.  I don’t know how I feel about that, but one thing’s for sure: I’m booking “New Directions” for my wedding.