Board of Education decides future of 3 programs after hearing community member testimonies
Pittsburgh Pirates pitcher Mitch Keller’s journey to the Major League
NBA In-Season Tournament: A format other leagues should learn from
NIH Teen Ambassador Program: Giving back to the community
Swim and dive team’s pool to close for two-year renovation on June 28
Photo of Yesterday, 2/25: Whitman Robotics mock competition

February 26, 2024

Girls basketball falls to Walter Johnson 46–42

The girls’ basketball team (12–2) fell to the Walter Johnson Wildcats (12–5) 46–42 on Friday night. 

In a tough conference matchup against the Wildcats, Whitman came up short and couldn’t secure the victory. In the Vikes’ last matchup, the team did an excellent job of stringing possessions together and playing smart, turnover-free basketball. However, when they visited Walter Johnson, Whitman had trouble replicating the same success they had last week. The Wildcats outplayed Whitman in the first quarter, with WJ playing tough defense throughout the first half. Although the Vikes brought the game closer together in the second quarter, they still trailed at half-time.

The Wildcats dominated the third quarter and were led by sophomore guard Elizabeth Martin. Martin ended the game with a team-high 12 points. On the Whitman side, most of their deep three attempts were unsuccessful. With the Vikes playing more aggressively in the second half, the game went down to the wire. Despite the Vikes’ comeback efforts, the Wildcats defeated their rival by four points, handing the Vikes a 46–42 loss. 

The Vikes will travel to the Wotton Patriots on Tuesday at 5:30 pm.