LIVE: Baseball takes on Blair in state quarterfinals
Bomb threat prompts evacuation of Walt Whitman High School
Girls lacrosse destroys Montgomery Blair 20–3 instate quarter-finals
LIVE: Baseball takes on Quince Orchard in reigonal finals
The rising popularity of UFC with Gen Z

The rising popularity of UFC with Gen Z

Girls soccer victorious in first round of playoffs

The team celebrates Alex Mason's late goal that put the team on top for good. Photo by Lee Cary.

Varsity girls soccer defeated the Magruder Colonels 2-0 on Oct. 30 in the first round of the regional playoffs.

The No. 7 seeded Lady Vikes came out firing and produced multiple shots, mainly from forwards Alex Mason and Andrea McDonald. However, despite their numerous opportunities, the girls couldn’t score before half and the entered halftime tied at zero.

The Vikings had no problem getting through Colonel defense, but were unable to put one past the Magruder goalkeeper. However, with less than 18 minutes remaining in the game, Mason  slid a shot under the goalkeeper’s arm into the back of the net, giving the Vikes a late lead.

Less than three minutes later, midfielder Kim Anderson headed a corner kick past the goalie to give the team an insurance goal.

Goalkeeper Hannah Sasscer held together the Viking defense and produced another shutout.

“This win is huge for our team,” Sasscer said. “We have been struggling in the second half of season, and the win today proved that we can play good soccer.”

The Lady Vikes will look for redemption against the Churchill Bulldogs in the second round of the regional playoffs on Nov. 2. The girls lost to the Bulldogs earlier in the season 1-0 in a heartbreaking overtime game.

“I couldn’t be happier to play Churchill on Tuesday,” Sasscer said. “I want nothing more but to destroy them on the field.”