Whitman Reacts: Wootton High School student arrested for planning school shooting

Football edges out Governor Thomas Johnson 10–7 for first home win in four years

The football team (2–2) squeaked out a close victory against the Governor Thomas Johnson Patriots (2–2), 10–7, on Friday night.

Defense was the name of the game for both sides in the first quarter. The Vike’s defense started strong on their first drive with a red zone stand leading to a missed Thomas Johnson field goal. The defense kept the momentum going with a blocked punt on Thomas Johnsons’ second offensive drive. Whitman’s defensive effort gave the offense a great field position, but with the Patriots’ goalline stand, the Vikings did not capitalize and get the ball into the endzone. In the second quarter, it was both offenses taking the initiative. The 0–0 stalemate was broken in the second quarter by Thomas Johnson with a long passing touchdown, giving them an early 7–0 lead. Whitman immediately responded with a rushing touchdown of their own, run by senior Ben Schlotterer. The score remained seven all at the half. 

As the wind picked up in the second half, Whitman’s offense slowed down as they started the half with a deflected interception. Both defenses held their own again as neither team scored in the 3rd quarter, creating a tense 4th quarter with the game tied at 7–7. Whitman took advantage of the heavy winds in the 4th quarter with a field goal to take a 10–7 lead. The Vikes had another field goal attempt but missed, as the ball went right of the post. After the missed Whitman field goal, the defense stepped up for the offense’s absence with a forced fumble, giving the Vikings their first turnover of the night and energizing the crowd as Whitman moved closer to their second victory of the season and first at home in four years. The fumble led to a game-sealing long drive capped off by a first down rush by senior Ben Schlotterer, giving Whitman and the Vikes faithful their long-awaited home victory.

Whitman will again try to capture back-to-back victory next Friday night, September 29th, against the Einstein Titans (2–2).