LIVE: Boys volleyball takes on Poolesville in second round of playoffs

U2 plays greatest hits to DC fans

Prince George’s County turned into a city of blinding lights Sept. 29 when world-famous band U2 performed, stunning the 80,000 fans packed into Fed Ex Field.

U2's massive stage left an impression on fans. Photo by Hailey Siller.

Bono, aside from being a global figure, has founded organizations such as One and Project (RED), which strive to eliminate poverty in Africa.  During the last song in the official set list, volunteers for Amnesty International surrounded the stage with pictures covering their faces of Aung San Suu Kyi, the democratically-elected leader of Burma who has been under house arrest for the past 20 years because of her fight for peace in her country.

U2’s stage, referred to as “The Claw,” was seen high above the stadium’s walls, towering 164 feet tall above the field.  The entire setup, including a 360 degree jumbo screen that moved up and down, is estimated to have cost over $40 million and took at least three days to setup.

“We got a spaceship,” lead singer Bono exclaimed, pushing fans to stand during the show.  “But it isn’t going anywhere without you!”

To open the show, U2 came running out onto circular walkways singing “Breathe,” a hit from their new album “No Line on the Horizon.”   The foursome played classic popular songs such as “Beautiful Day,” “Vertigo” and “Sunday, Bloody Sunday.”

“The atmosphere was cool because people of all ages jumped around during U2’s great songs, like Vertigo,” says junior attendee Lee Cary.  “Everyone was into that song. The concert was amazing.”