County puts up ‘No Parking’ signs by baseball field

The+Montgomery+County+Department+of+Transportation+recently+installed+%E2%80%9Cno+parking%E2%80%9D+signs+on+the+left+side+of+Pyle+Road+by+the+back+entrance+to+Whitman%2C+effectively+cutting+the+number+of+available+parking+spots+by+the+baseball+field+in+half.+
Back to Article
Back to Article

The Montgomery County Department of Transportation recently installed “no parking” signs on the left side of Pyle Road by the back entrance to Whitman, effectively cutting the number of available parking spots by the baseball field in half.

Photo by Kurumi Sato

Photo by Kurumi Sato

Photo by Kurumi Sato

By Blake Layman

The Montgomery County Department of Transportation recently installed “no parking” signs on the left side of Pyle Road by the back entrance to Whitman, effectively cutting the number of available parking spots by the baseball field in half. Students were outraged.

“It makes no sense why there’s no parking,” junior Sam Mermelstein said. “There are no driveways or houses along the road.”

The baseball field parking is where students who didn’t receive a parking permit park; about 50 students park there daily, usually lining up down both sides of Pyle Road. The county owns the road, and county traffic engineer Joe Pospisil said parking has never been legal there—the county just recently decided to put up the signs and start ticketing any offenders.

“Parking has been prohibited on the North East side since 2001, following a request by Walt Whitman High School officials and evaluation by the Department of Transportation,” Pospisil said. “School officials were concerned that two-way traffic flow, especially for buses, would be obstructed if vehicles were parked on both sides of the roadway based on the road width.”

Neighborhood residents had complained about the continued parking, leading the county to put up signs notifying students of the no parking rule, head of security Cherisse Milliner said.  These signs prompted principal Robert Dodd to notify students and parents via email March 27 that students were no longer permitted to park there.

With no signs that parking in the area will be restored any time soon, students will either need to arrive at school earlier to fight for spots or find another method of transportation.

“The county should realize that students need to be able to park there,” junior Sean Fleming said. “There just isn’t enough space for everybody who needs to park at the baseball field to be able to now. The signs are excessive and unnecessary.”

About the Writer
Blake Layman, News Writer
Grade

11

What are some of your interests?

Playing basketball, going skiing, hanging out with friends.

Why did you join the Black and White?

I enjoyed journalism and learning about things that happen at our school and in our community before others. Writing stories allows you to meet new people that you would never have talked to before.

What's your favorite vegetable?

Kale