Washington Post columnist Dana Milbank, seniors to speak at graduation

Washington Post columnist Dana Milbank will be the keynote speaker at the senior graduation June 8. Student speakers will be Claude Ayo, Madison Holt and Lucia Mitnik. Photo courtesy the Washington Post.

By Anna Yuan

This year’s senior graduation June 8 will feature Washington Post columnist Dana Milbank as the keynote speaker with student speakers Claude Ayo, Madison Holt and Lucia Mitnik.

Milbank has been a columnist for the Washington Post since 2005, focusing mainly on politics. He participated in a political panel fundraiser in October to raise money for the Speech and Debate Team, which prompted English teacher Todd Michaels, who advises senior activities, to invite Milbank to speak at graduation.

Principal Alan Goodwin is excited to see Milbank speak at graduation because he embodies many of Whitman’s values.

“Journalism and open discussions are a big part of our school,” Goodwin said. “He’s just an impressive, open-minded man, and because our school has such a strong tradition with journalism, we thought that we would invite him, and we’re lucky to get him.”

Every year, in addition to a keynote speaker, a panel of SGA members and staff members  choose student speakers. Interested students write a speech and then audition in front of the panel. Each speaker selected by the panel is then paired with an English teacher to help guide them in improving their speeches.

This year, student speaker Ayo is focusing on his personal experience at Whitman, including his experience moving from South Africa to Bethesda, while Holt’s speech incorporates the senior class’ shared struggles and successes. Mitnik is choosing to give advice through humor.

“We all are trying to represent our class to the best of our abilities through our speeches and really make sure our class is remembered,” Mitnik said.