The rising popularity of UFC with Gen Z
Landon School hosts 70th annual Azalea Festival
Track and Field competes at county championships
Girls lacrosse outclasses Walter Johnson 11–7 in regional title
Boys lacrosse season comes to a close after losing to Churchill 12–5 in regional finals

Teens drawn to Taylor Swift, country music concerts

Photo by Haley Johnson.

Country music is more popular than ever before, and no artist has capitalized on the trend more than Taylor Swift. Girls and boys alike flocked to venues like the Verizon Center and Jiffy Lube Live to hear Taylor Swift and to attend the 98.7 WMZQ Fest.

Swift’s Fearless world tour draws to a close July 10 in Cavendish, Canada. Her D.C. stop was third-to-last in the almost six-month tour, and attracted so many fans that she added an extra performance at the Verizon Center.

The show opened to wild screams and applause with hit song “You Belong With Me.” Throughout the show, Swift rocked several outfits in her signature style: bright, sparkly dresses and much-admired cowboy boots. The hordes of fans slipping into boots and dresses of their own showed a mass demonstration of appreciation for Taylor’s music and style.

Similar to the Swift concert, many attendees of the WMZQ Fest 2010 got into the country spirit by sporting cowboy boots, hats, and jeans. Junior Maggie Schmidt went to the event and raved about the experience.

“It was awesome,” she says. “And it was really fun to people-watch. There were a ton of country hicks waving Confederate flags.”

While Schmidt has always liked country, she recently became more interested in the style of music while listening with a friend.

“I think part of its appeal is that it’s very summery,” Schmidt says. “It reminds you of all of the fun you’re going to have in the summer.”

Country concerts coming to the area this summer include Rascal Flatts performing at Jiffy Lube Live August 14 and the Zac Brown Band, which won the Grammy for Best New Artist, playing at Nationals Park July 23.